Converting to efi

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I disagree. They are a great truck intake ina small motor (sub 400”). The torque is not even measurable as compared to anything else. It takes VVT to compete with the torque production of a TPI setup. As mentioned by Built6spdMCSS , 2’ long small runners work at low rpm.

I don’t want to sound argumentative, but these do work for a specific application. And beyond that, imo there isn’t a better looking setup for EFI.
Imagine a LS PCM running one and some Coils on it just like the Gen II LT1 Conversions... would be interesting haha.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Imagine a LS PCM running one and some Coils on it just like the Gen II LT1 Conversions... would be interesting haha.
Don’t get too carried away with it haha. After the low end torque, and forgot to mention fuel economy, most everything stomps them. I really don’t think spark or ECU improvements are going to benefit it much.

You young guys (wink wink) don’t remember what hot garbage preceded the TPI. In the late 80’s they were a hot setup. And one can easily obtain 350hp and 400ft/lbs of torque with one on a 350-383 setup. And they offer all of the benefits of FI in terms of reliability. They are damn simple setup - they had 4 sensors and an IAC. And a very reliable ignition system after they did away with 85-86 Vette MAF burn off setup.

My $.02.

Reactions: 1 users

JimmyD

Apprentice
Feb 16, 2021
Umatilla, Florida
I've got an '85 TPI set-up from a Camero in my Elky. Complete 305, wiring harness, factory ecu with a stage 1 chip. Runs and drives OK,(or did before it went to paint jail) but the TH350 and stock rear gears kills my bottom end. I'm building a 383/200-4r setup to swap in and will be looking for suggestions on fueling and gear selection soon.
If anybody near Central Florida is interested, come and get it.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Find a system you might be interested to purchase and download the installation instructions. They are very useful.

I have Edelbrock pro-flo and f.a.s.t. setups, happy with both.
How has the Pro-Flo been? Really leaning towards going this way and selling all the Sniper stuff, didn't like the nonchalantness I got at SEMA when I asked if there was someone to talk to there about the damage claim going since Memorial Day. My problem is that I like the 35813 setup, but with my transmission the 35690 would be more functional.

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
How has the Pro-Flo been? Really leaning towards going this way and selling all the Sniper stuff, didn't like the nonchalantness I got at SEMA when I asked if there was someone to talk to there about the damage claim going since Memorial Day. My problem is that I like the 35813 setup, but with my transmission the 35690 would be more functional.
on my k10 truck i have the gen1 proflo (model 3500), except it is run by a FAST TPI retro-fit ECU. it works great - no complaints. i'm running a 700r4 and using the tv made easy kit from bowtie overdrives: http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog_inc/viewitem.php?ITEMID=212
if you need an electric torque converter lockout computer, i'm running the compushift mini - it's the best design available, in my opinion.

on my monte carlo build, i have a gen4 proflo, with the 4-barrel throttle body just like the gen1. this engine hasn't been run yet. it looks like it will function pretty much same as the setup above, just a modernized version.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I disagree. They are a great truck intake ina small motor (sub 400”). The torque is not even measurable as compared to anything else. It takes VVT to compete with the torque production of a TPI setup. As mentioned by Built6spdMCSS , 2’ long small runners work at low rpm.

I don’t want to sound argumentative, but these do work for a specific application. And beyond that, imo there isn’t a better looking setup for EFI.
Ironically GM didn't have the brains to run them in trucks. They instead ran the actually overated TBI swirl port motors. At least the TBI motors were mostly reliable, underpowered compared to the competition at the time.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor