Converting to efi

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Injector placement of a sequential system is definitely an improvement over TBI, but sequential timing of injector firing isn't that big of a deal. I can't tell the difference in my truck batch fire vs sequential in response, cold starts, or mpg.

Reactions: 2 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
I do realize they both accomplish the same thing... what i dont like about the aftermarket throttle body units, along with all the injectors/sensors in the main body that has to be there, so is the ECM, theres a reason why OEMs mount their ECMs off and away from the engine.

Granted its still in the engine bay where it get subjected to a certain amount of heat, but not as much as if it was mounted directly above the engine where it will receive the most due to heat rise, look what happens to carbureted engines, the heat soak is much worse, for longevity sake, i'd prefer to have the ECM mounted away from the engine and/or heat, like inside the car.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
EFI LS Engine but EFI is EFI, I mounted the computer on the inside behind the dash, wiring is ran through the Trans tunnel.

WIxX6tY.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
The throttle body EFI units are nothing more than a glorified carburetor to me.... but they are a tad bit cheaper if you go that route, the sequential unit like the edelbrock is better IMO.

Switching over is costly... $2200 for the edelbrock unit, $380 for the '87 MC efi tank that includes pump assembly, the need of an aftermarket in tank fuel pump, cost depends on what you find and decide to use, all new braided fuel line hoses(supply/return/vent), AN fittings, and all thats before taxes, at least this is what its going to cost me so far just to give you an idea what you're lQQking forward to as well.
Unfortunately that's just not going to be in my budget right now. I appreciate all the info though. But a glorified carb is basically what I was looking for.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Unfortunately that's just not going to be in my budget right now. I appreciate all the info though. But a glorified carb is basically what I was looking for.

If your motor is a turd right now, I suppose you could swap a factory TBI setup on from the junkyard.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Either use a factory TBI (454 in your HP range) with a Megasquirt, Max ECU, etc or go with a Holley. STEER clear of of ‘budget’ EFI setups.

And be prepared for a $2k price tag. Almost everything will be in that range if you buy new.

Reactions: 2 users

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
If your motor is a turd right now, I suppose you could swap a factory TBI setup on from the junkyard.
Actually it's not. Just that it tends to get pretty cold in the winter here. I would like to be able to just hit the key and go...

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Either use a factory TBI (454 in your HP range) with a Megasquirt, Max ECU, etc or go with a Holley. STEER clear of of ‘budget’ EFI setups.

And be prepared for a $2k price tag. Almost everything will be in that range if you buy new.
A decent carb & intake set-up can be close to 1k. so if that's out of the budget then waiting & saving should be the plan.

Cheap efi stuff will likely be a headache.
Cheap & easy install means you need to know alot about the ins & outs of EFI set-ups. If you're not educated on them, this isn't an option.
Any easy install that functions 'new car' like won't be cheap @ all.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor