Converting vinyl to to hard top?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarfreak69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2012
i have a 1986 monte carlo ls and the vinyl top in not in the best condition, i was wondering what are the steps to converting it to a hard top? Is it dificult to remove, am i going to want to reinstall all the trim afterwards? can i just peel off the vinyl and sand it down and paint it? is it that simple?

Reegal

Greasemonkey
Aug 26, 2011
you should check around on the forum, theres a couple people who have done this already and some have before and after pics. its simple depending on whats simple to u. if u remove the vinyl top u have to change the quarter windows and get parts from a non vinyl top monte. u will to use maybe goo gone or something similar to get rid of the glue. thats the more simple part, the more annoying part is if u find a big chunk of rust under there due to moisture build up over the years. u will obviously have to fix that and i think theres some holes left from the trim.

84cutlassjuggalo

G-Body Guru
Jun 25, 2010
Morell PEI Canada
8TRAY said:
if u remove the vinyl top u have to change the quarter windows and get parts from a non vinyl top monte.

not to sound rude because you're probably just learning about gbodies but also not sure why you would say to change the windows and what non vinyl top parts would you believe there to be?

Removing the vinyl roof is easy and straigth forawrd. I haven't done it my self but you first need to remove the trim and try to save it because you may end up wanting to put it back in the future or you could always sell it. After you need to remove the vinyl and my understanding is if you use a metal scraper you could peal it away pretty easy and there will be a lot of rust just as 8tray said. It's not too hard to do but i would wait untill you're able to tackle the rust the same day you pull the top off. god luck with the removal.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Actually its the plastic seal around the glass that is different, its nearly impossible to swap the seals so you just change the glass and all on the quarter windows. I've use both styles, the seal for a landau top is narrower but used black silicone to fill the gap. Not very noticable unless you know what you are looking for.

84cutlassjuggalo

G-Body Guru
Jun 25, 2010
Morell PEI Canada
That's actually pretty awesome. I'm glad to admit i learned something new. that's the only thing i can imagine will need to be address when removing though correct?

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Like 8tray said, do a search on this forum. Lots of info from people who have done it. I have considered it, but decided to keep mine a vinyl top. Quarter windows, rear window trim, and some "pins" or something like that which hold the trim piece going across the top are what seem to be the trouble items. Oh, and the rust. Like stated, you can use your current windows if the gap doesn't bother you. You will need rear window trim from a hardtop version of YOUR car. Cutlass won't fit a Monte, not that I've seen anyway. Around here there's only one salvage yard with gbodies and he know$ it. My top is in great shape, but there is rust under the quarter windows :? When I'm done with school, hopefully next year, I plan on addressing the rust and getting new paint. I'm going to remove the top myself, scrape of all the adhesive and address additional any rust. Then I'm going to POR-15 everything that will be covered by the vinyl before getting it painted and a new top.

robhowardiii

Apprentice
Mar 6, 2012
Pegs. Lots of pegs to cut off. A palm Sander works good for the glue removal.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My 83' Monte was a CL and I removed the vinyl. On my vinyl the moldings were riveted on so there were holes left over when I removed it, so I had to mig weld those closed. You will need rear window trim from a hardtop and it is easiest to use the quarter windows also from a hardtop because the original quarter window vinyl top seal will have the edges pushed out because of the thickness of the vinyl and they will most likely never sit flush and also the rear filler plate (between the trunk and rear window) can either be replaced or welded to fill those holes.
It's highly unlikely if you go through the whole process of removing the vinyl and finishing the roof that you would ever need your molding for anything.So I would sell it?, give it away or just throw it away like I did.

Attachments

• IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 2,623
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor