Cool auto plant videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Just amazing videos of how cars were made. Huge machines were crucial even in 1936. Actually it is a testament to the workers that there were not more goofs than we know about. I still can't tell what car this was:
And over at Ford:
- these are a Mustang:
-
No wonder it is so hard to work on cars once they are together.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
I took a trip to Detroit about two years ago and toured the F-150 assembly plant. They only let you see the final assembly area, but even still it was incredible to watch. I would've loved to see the actual body welding and dipping/painting process. I'm planning a possible trip this summer to see the Toyota plant in Georgetown, Kentucky.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
great vids. i remember visiting the ford plant in st. paul back in elementary school, 1974 i think. they built cars and truck at the plant back then.

good luck seeing the finishing area of a toyota plant. my co-worker earned a trip to a toyota plant tour several years ago and was allow to see the top secret area, but not the field rep who brought him there. lol

first video looks like a chevy plant. the engine is an overhead valve engine, vs a flat head, and looks like a 6 cylinder.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Toyota Indiana has plant tours also. The Corvette plant in Bowling Green, KY has tours but may or may not be happening depending on production shutdowns/changeovers. When I have been they usually pick someone out of the tour to drive a Vette off the assembly line.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've toured the Corvette plant with my dad, both in St. Louis and in Bowling Green. He retired from GM in 86. I saw some very cool stuff. In St. Louis saw Caprices/Impalas and trucks being assembled, and that was pretty cool. I have a chunk of stratification of paint coats from the St. Louis car paint booth that has about 400 coats of overspray building up color layer after color layer and . Looks pretty cool.

Toured the Oshawa Camaro plant in 2011 when they opened it up for Camaro owners and basically anyone that wanted to peek inside. We toured the entire plant. Even got to take pictures but forgot to charge up and battery died part way through. Boo. Plus went nearby and toured the suspension plant that assembled the front suspensions and rear ends and used Just In Time manufacturing to ship them over to the plant to throw them on the respective VIN'd cars. Pretty cool.

L99 Camaro SS Drivetrain.JPG

If you have time, here's a video of the 5th gen Camaro plant from metal stampings to finish. I'm betting most of you would wish an LS installation was this easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor