CUTLASS Coolant capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
What is the total coolant capacity of the G Olds with V8 from dry? About to fill it up and wanna put half distilled first then a gallon of ethylene glycol and then top off with distilled. Just need to know total capacity from dry. Mike? 69hurstolds Thx all!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Why you always gotta drag me into this? :giggle:

Stock capacity for v8 sbo with hd cooling is 15.5 US quarts.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Because you answer shiot right off the top of your head I think🤣

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
What I usually do is get my graduated gallon pitcher and make my own 50/50 mix and add it one gallon at a time. That way I know it’s 50/50 all the way.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I was gonna do lighter that 50/50. I should have done that. I got a bit impatient and filled it with distilled while I waited for your response🥳

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I gotta load a 30 second vid of it a half hour ago to YouTube and post it

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Most V8's from 70's and 80's are roughly 4 gallons. 2 gallons water + 2 gallons coolant.

To refill a completely empty system... Add 2 gallons coolant first and then 1 gallon water.

Start the engine with the cap off. When the thermostat opens for first time it will "burp", might even overflow some through the cap.

After it "burps" you should see coolant level drop. When this happens fill radiator to about 1 inch below the cap.

Keep engine running for 5 to 10 minutes. This ensures you don't have steam block in the engine block's water jacket.

Shut engine off and wait about 3 to 5 minutes. Add water until it is up to the level of the cap opening.

Close the cap to first click. This pressurizes to 4 psi.

With engine still hot and cap on, start engine and shut off. Engine should crank normally. If it doesn't, I.E.: the starter drags you have cooling problem, engine or starter has heat soaked.

Wait about hour with engine off ... Check for leaks, over flow, and carefully remove the cap. Add water as needed.

At this point close cap all the way and run the engine to temp or let sit over night and check level in morning along with checking for leaks. Add water to level of cap and fill line of the over flow tank.

Drive the car, when done for the day let sit over night and in morning check level and level in overflow tank.

As long as the engine's coolant is good. Coolant level should be to cap and proper level in over flow tank.

If there is excess in the tank you can suction it out if it's significant, or leave it alone if just a minor amount of excess. If coolant level is low, just add as needed and recheck. Do this for first few days and check level just to make sure no leaks or other issues.

Once everything is good, the engine will be at the proper level with no air pockets in the block. Engine will adjust its self to the proper level.

If you start a cold engine, only running for a few minutes and you get a burp from removing cap ... You have gasket leak and compression gasses are pressurizing coolant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Because you answer shiot right off the top of your head I think🤣
Mostly. If it applies to an 85 442 I usually have looked at it enough. If I was going to do a dump and go I’d use 2 gallons of coolant concentrate (save a little for the overflow tank) followed by the rest in distilled. And then pour a dab of distilled into the overflow tank and top off with distilled as needed.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Right on. Since it is only for anti-corrsion, I was gonna go less concentrated for the better cooling capacity esp in Fla. Here it is running again after three years on jackstands.

Reactions: 2 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Right on. Since it is only for anti-corrsion, I was gonna go less concentrated for the better cooling capacity esp in Fla. Here it is running again after three years on jackstands.

I'm not sure on distilled water, as chemically it's de-ionized water. I have always used tap water. If there is concern for chlorine, just fill a 5 gallon bucket and let it sit out a couple days to de-chlorinate it.

In Arizona too many just run water. The thinking is "anti-freeze" ... Don't need it. Wrong!

You are right to focus on anti corrosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor