Coolant in cylinders

Status
Not open for further replies.

84Monte305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2017
So I pulled the heads off my 305 and there is rusty water/coolant in cylinders 1, 3, 5, 7, and 8. The gaskets look fine so it doesn't seem like it would have leaked throught the gaskets. What would cause this? Also when I took spark plug number 5 and 7 out a decent amount of water dumed out. Any advice appreciated

84Monte305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2017
did you drain the coolant system completely before you removed the heads?

No, I bought the engine from someone already out of a car. Wasn't aware there was coolant in it still. The Pistons and cylinders seem to be in ok condition. But I think the coolant/rusty water had been there for a while sitting in the cylinders

84Monte305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2017
was the intake installed on the engine when you got it?

Yes it was, no carb, but 4 barrel quadrajet intake. I removed intake, looked ok under there. Except for a port on each of the heads had some nasty gunk build up.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yes it was, no carb, but 4 barrel quadrajet intake. I removed intake, looked ok under there. Except for a port on each of the heads had some nasty gunk build up.
Flush the block, check the bearings. If they're scored or pitted, get new ones. If there's coolant in the oil, get new bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor