CUTLASS COOLANT LEAK REPAIR

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
  • Recently, I noticed my coolant level a little low. So, I decided to take a look for any small leaks. This is my first Cutlass since 1994 and I'm just getting my sea-legs back on the 80s technology, so I'm a little rusty on what some of the parts do or how they function. On the back side of my 307 VIN9 engine I found the leak. A heater hose comes from the heater core at the firewall and into this part (don't know what it is yet). And the part goes into the top of the motor and is adjacent to the distributor. It also has a small greyish wire coming from it. Can anyone give an answer to what it is/does, and what type of seal does it use to keep the coolant from leaking around it? It looks like it is leaking at the base as it goes into the motor below the wrenching surface of the part. Any info would be appreciated.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That sounds like the heater control valve to regulate heater temps, that gray wire is actually the vacuum line that operates the valve. Check the hose clamps the see if they need tighten/replaced or the hoses themselves are about to give up the ghost. Either way I'd replace the heater hoses.

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
That sounds like the heater control valve to regulate heater temps, that gray wire is actually the vacuum line that operates the valve. Check the hose clamps the see if they need tighten/replaced or the hoses themselves are about to give up the ghost. Either way I'd replace the heater hoses.
Thanks for the info, but the hoses are good and no leak present at the hose side. The leak is at the bottom of the valve as it goes into the motor. I'm not sure how this valve mounts into the motor (o-ring, Teflon tape, or other), but I'm confident that is where the leak is. Put a wrench on it, and it seems tight. But, I didn't want to raunch on it too much.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Those leak often and they are threaded into the intake. If you have working A/C, replace it, bypasses the heater core with the A/C on for the coldest possible temp. I just add a 3/4" nipple from the plumbing section from your hardware store.

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
Those leak often and they are threaded into the intake. If you have working A/C, replace it, bypasses the heater core with the A/C on for the coldest possible temp. I just add a 3/4" nipple from the plumbing section from your hardware store.
Thanks for the info. Found a new one and ordered it. It looks like the only sealant to use is Teflon tape or the liquid stuff (pipe dope). I'll change it out during the coolant flush I had planned. Thanks again to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor