coolant length of stay...

Status
Not open for further replies.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i understand that the t-stat sets the minimum temperature and after a certain point it's open and it's job is done for the time being.my query is,will it cool better with a higher temp stat that keeps the radiator full allowing the radiator to do it's job and cool the coolant down before it lets it all go to do it's job?I'm thinking of going hotter from the 180 to the hotter 195.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The T stant blocks flow until the engine warms up to allow for faster warm up and better temp control. 195 degrees is a good general purpose setting, as engine oil must reach 180 degrees to burn out moisture. To cool of a t stant will reduce engine life, something Ford figured out back in the 60's.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Well put clone. You want the engine to warm up quicker to run better, reduce emissions, get the heater working and reduce contamination in the crankcase. The t-stat also slows the coolant mix down for better heat absorption

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The T stant blocks flow until the engine warms up to allow for faster warm up and better temp control. 195 degrees is a good general purpose setting, as engine oil must reach 180 degrees to burn out moisture. To cool of a t stant will reduce engine life, something Ford figured out back in the 60's.

Ford also figured out if the engine broke down more often that would help their engines to last longer..... :popcorn:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
higher temp stat that keeps the radiator full
The radiator stays full no matter what. That is the purpose of the sealed system and overflow tank. As the coolant heats and expands, the excess goes into the tank. When the engine cools down, it sucks the coolant back out of the tank. Any air "should" exit into the tank and be expelled out the opening. A stated, the stat slows the flow. Race cars that don't use a stat use an orifice (washer) that is calculated to slow the flow enough so the coolant can spend enough time in the radiator to give up the heat. A good way to adjust flow is to have different size water pump pulleys to slow or speed up the pump.

Reactions: 2 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i get the jist of it all,I'm going back and fourth about switching the to the 195 is all.
thanks guys

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Since you are in Mass and you know what COLD is- I agree with the 195° stat. I find no problems in Summer even with AC since I have an aluminum radiator.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Thermostats were only used to get the engine to heat up quickly to reduce emissions and reach operating temperatures. The main thing is radiator surface area and heat transfer coefficients of the radiator material, like copper or aluminum. If you can increase the surface area of the radiator, you'll reject more heat. Thickness by itself will not do this. It won't hurt, but it won't necessarily help. This is why some 3 core staggered cores cool better than 4 core inline cores.

You want the pump to speed up for maximum cooling. Never slow it down. When dealing with radiators, you want turbulent flows and when you slow flow down, you can lose turbulent flow. The mass flow rate equation proves this to be true. Same with the air flow side. So make sure you trap the air to go through the radiator and not around it. Make sure all the seals are in place and shroud if applicable. Push/pull electric fans with suitable air movement will do the job or make sure your fan clutch, if used, is in good operating condition.

180 or 195 is perfectly fine. 195 was used in most CCC types so as to get that cat hot quick and stay hot enough to reduce emissions without burning sh*t up. But as noted, once the T-stat opens, it's going to pretty much act more as an orifice.

All that to say.....your radiator configuration and air flow across it will determine how fast you reject heat, not the T-stat.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Never slow it down.
I once had a 1967 Firebird parts car. It was used as an undercover car by the NYPD. It was ordered with the 400 HO engine, Borg Warner HD 3 speed manual trans, manual steering, no radio, just heat. Bare bones. It had only one fan belt and the single groove water pump pulley was huge like a pie plate. I figured they wanted to slow the water pump and alternator since it would be driven hard. It kept the 400 cool. I still have the HO exhaust manifolds and some other parts.

Reactions: 2 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Thermostats were only used to get the engine to heat up quickly to reduce emissions and reach operating temperatures. The main thing is radiator surface area and heat transfer coefficients of the radiator material, like copper or aluminum. If you can increase the surface area of the radiator, you'll reject more heat. Thickness by itself will not do this. It won't hurt, but it won't necessarily help. This is why some 3 core staggered cores cool better than 4 core inline cores.

You want the pump to speed up for maximum cooling. Never slow it down. When dealing with radiators, you want turbulent flows and when you slow flow down, you can lose turbulent flow. The mass flow rate equation proves this to be true. Same with the air flow side. So make sure you trap the air to go through the radiator and not around it. Make sure all the seals are in place and shroud if applicable. Push/pull electric fans with suitable air movement will do the job or make sure your fan clutch, if used, is in good operating condition.

180 or 195 is perfectly fine. 195 was used in most CCC types so as to get that cat hot quick and stay hot enough to reduce emissions without burning sh*t up. But as noted, once the T-stat opens, it's going to pretty much act more as an orifice.

All that to say.....your radiator configuration and air flow across it will determine how fast you reject heat, not the T-stat.
You don’t want it flowing too fast, such as with no t stat at all. You need the coolant to stay in the radiator long enough to let the air flow over it to do its job. No t stat can lead to overheating on hot days.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor