Coolant temp and oil pressure gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkway

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2016
I would like to add a coolant temp gauge and oil pressure gauge to my '79 Regal with a 301. I am not a huge fan of "idiot lights"; I like to see "real time" info on these things. I searched around and didn't see this covered; if I missed a previous thread, I apologize. Has anyone done this before? Is it possible to preserve the idiot lights as well when adding these gauges, or do I have to forgo the lights and use the existing engine connection points for the gauges? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
For the oil pressure, you can tee into the fitting on the block to have the light as well as the readout on the mechanical gauge. For Temp, there should be some holes on the intake that aren't used or a few in the heads. I know there is always more than one. And while your at it, might as well add a volts gauge to it too. Or a third of your choice. Maybe a Tach as well.

parkway

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2016
For the oil pressure, you can tee into the fitting on the block to have the light as well as the readout on the mechanical gauge. For Temp, there should be some holes on the intake that aren't used or a few in the heads. I know there is always more than one. And while your at it, might as well add a volts gauge to it too. Or a third of your choice. Maybe a Tach as well.

Thank you. I was thinking of doing a three-gauge cluster; stick it somewhere unobtrusive under the dash or something. Voltmeter sounds good too. Now I just have to find where I can pop that aditional temp sensor in....

I was thinking of also using an inline T in a rad hose, but something about cutting into a perfectly good radiator hose doesn't sit well with me especially if there are other options.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Thank you. I was thinking of doing a three-gauge cluster; stick it somewhere unobtrusive under the dash or something. Voltmeter sounds good too. Now I just have to find where I can pop that aditional temp sensor in....

I was thinking of also using an inline T in a rad hose, but something about cutting into a perfectly good radiator hose doesn't sit well with me especially if there are other options.
I've seen some water necks that had the hole for a fitting, maybe you could find one of those? I think one from any other pontiac V8 may fit as well.

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
I would like to add a coolant temp gauge and oil pressure gauge to my '79 Regal with a 301. I am not a huge fan of "idiot lights"; I like to see "real time" info on these things. I searched around and didn't see this covered; if I missed a previous thread, I apologize. Has anyone done this before? Is it possible to preserve the idiot lights as well when adding these gauges, or do I have to forgo the lights and use the existing engine connection points for the gauges? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Why not look for factory rally gauges?

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Normally you want your temp sendor before the thermostat not after. If it is after your gauge will not read right until the thermostat is open. Side of the block is best.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Normally you want your temp sendor before the thermostat not after. If it is after your gauge will not read right until the thermostat is open. Side of the block is best.
You mean in the cylinder head, righr?

parkway

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2016
Thanks guys. I'll try to find a plug somewhere that I can use for the temp. Not a lot of photos I've found on where that/those might be, but I'll look around when it's not 12 degrees outside! :)

parkway

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2016
So I got a chance to peek around a little on Christmas day since it was around 40 degrees outside. I can see three ports; one in the intake and two in the heads. The intake port has a valve with two vacuum lines running to it. The heads seem to have one port each and those are both taken; the driver side sensor looks to be for the coolant temp light and the passenger side sensor has vacuum running to it. I think that one controls the heater valve? Am I missing a port somewhere? There are a ton of vacuum lines running around so I might be missing something. On the up side, while poking around, I found a small vacuum leak so I can fix that at least.

Sorry to keep asking questions, but I'm relatively new to this and afraid to screw something up. I guess if all else fails I can use an inline radiator hose adapter for the temp gauge, but I'm not sure if that's ideal. Thanks again, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor