Coolant temp gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erich

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2012
Las Cruces
Hey guys,
I'm working on getting this Cutlass into shape and one thing I would like is to put in a readable coolant temp gauge to replace the dummy-light, so I can monitor how hot the engine gets.

What's a decent temp gauge and sensor that will allow me to do this? And how would I go about installing them?

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I assume you want aftermarket, check out Autometer, they have a gauge/sensor setup.
Easy install, just install just to the right of the water neck on the front of the manifold to stay close to the thermostat.

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota
I prefer autometer for my car. i'm using the phantom series for all the gauges. there good quality.

Erich

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2012
Las Cruces
Whenever I pick out a gauge/sender combo, where should I install the sender?

Do I use the old sending unit location? and if so, where is it located?

383S10

Master Mechanic
Mar 16, 2008
Toney, AL
I run 2 temp gauges a Autometer electric temp on the hood reading off the manifold next to the stat and a mechanical back-up Equus reading off the passenger side of the motor....they read with in 5 degrees of each other.....just a little insurance for a 406 sbc motor I dont desire to run hot............

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor