Coolant temperature sending unit for gauge package. Need one with 3/8" npt threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I swapped over to after market heads that use 3/8" npt threads rather than the 1/2" npt that my stock heads had. Does anyone know the part number of a sending unit with 3/8 npt threads that would be compatible with the stock coolant temperature gauge? I really want to keep the sending unit in the head and not move it it. Thanks!

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
2134793 for the current AC Delco unit, TS76 for Standard Motor Products. Search any '80 up A/G with a Chevy engine & you'll be good.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York

200kss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 17, 2006
Missouri
I had bad luck with an aftermarket one of those. Had a brand new one read incorrectly and go to 225 degrees before then thermostat even opened. Swapped in a used original and its back to normal. Anyone used the new AC Delco version?

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I'm sitting here testing resistance on the different coolant temperature sending units. I have found that the GM specified part# is 8993146/D1885 for the 80-up cars with the gauge package. I have found that at 70 degrees that the resistance shows 3,160 ohms.
By comparison, the original 1/2" thread GM sender from my 78 shows about 800 ohms at the same temperature. I have another identical GM sender that shows the same (about 800 ohms).
I tested another new GM sending unit with 3/8" thread part# 25037346 and it shows about the same as the first 3/8" thread sensor mentioned above. It makes me wonder if GM did something different on the 80-up gauges to coincide with the different resistance ranges of the gauges. The issue I am having is that with the aftermarket TS76 sending unit the gauge barely moves off the cold mark. It worked perfectly before swapping the cylinder heads (and smaller sending unit).

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor