coolant temperature sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
Tahiti - French Polynesia
Hi guys !!
I have an oldsmobile cutlass supreme 1980 with rally pack gauges.
My temp gauge doesn't work anymore, so I try to ground the connecting wire of the temp sensor and I make the needle going to the max of the gauge.
So I guess the gauge is working and that I should change the temp sensor.
Does someone know the part number for the coolant temperature sensor for rally pack ?? Or a link where I could buy it ?
I find some temp sensor on internet but I'm not sure they are for rally pack... And the sensor is not the same on rally pack and normal pack !
Thanks!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
What engine do you have in the car?

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
I got mine at autozone...if i remember correctly there's two sending units, one for gauges and one for idiot lights depending what you have in your gauge pod.

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
Yes, I need the one for gauges, not for idiot light.
I guess the working temperature between a diesel and a gasoline engine is different, maybe that's why my temp gauge is not working ? as I have maybe a temp sensor made for diesel engine and I run with gasoline..

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I have a v8 350 which was initially diesel but it has been remade and now runs with gasoline.
Do you mean the car originally had a diesel engine, but it has been replaced by a gasoline engine? Is it a Chevrolet 350 or an Oldsmobile 350?

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
the previous owner told me the engine block was initially diesel but that It has been entierely redone and transformed in a gasoline block.. not replaced !! Or maybe I misunderstood but I don't think so !
How could I check ? There is a number written somewhere ?
But I have the "diesel" hood ornament on my car, on the cluster it's written diesel but I put gasoline inside !!
It's an oldsmobile engine, I have the temp sensor and oil pressure sensor on the front of the engine !

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
It sounds like the previous owner built a gasoline 350 olds engine using the diesel block and bottom end. Snap a quick picture of the underhood and post it up. An olds engine has an oil filler spout at the front of the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor