Cooling Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Topic seems to always come up so what set up do you guys use and what have you used in the past and how well do they work. For the electric fan set up what do you use to trigger the fan or fans and what temperature do you have the fan or fans coming on.....:popcorn:

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Topic seems to always come up

... which means a simple search ought to produce numerous threads and answers to your questions. ;)

what set up do you guys use and what have you used in the past

At first, I had a (single) Taurus junkyard fan. It was mounted at the driver's edge of the radiator in order to clear the crank snout. My aftermarket external trans fluid cooler was mounted (in front of) the other end of the radiator, which meant the Taurus fan wouldn't really pull any air through that cooler... so I removed the Taurus fan and replaced it with a dual fan setup from a junkyard Chrysler 300M. This now gives me full-width coverage across the entire radiator.

sAcQzoa.jpg

For the electric fan set up what do you use to trigger the fan or fans and what temperature do you have the fan or fans coming on.....

My electric fan has always been operated via a junkyard Volvo fan relay (seen in the above photo). Back when I was carbureted, I controlled the relay via a toggle switch on the dash. Later when I upgraded to FiTech EFI, I decided to let the computer activate the relay. I currently have the fans come on at 205^ and turn off at 195^ (I have a 180^ thermostat in the engine). I never did remove my toggle switch, so I can still override the computer and turn the fans on whenever I like.

Reactions: 1 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I'm using a Derale setup that came with the shroud. And for the controller I'm using a $45 Davies-Craig relay setup. Best relay setup I've come across and super cheap compared to most. They're an Australian company mostly dealing with boats.

I went through 3 different controllers from bigger brands before settling on this one that works better and is literally half the price.

I did however modify the sender to go into the water jacket instead of just sitting in the radiator fins.

I can't find any good pics of the setup but I can get some later tonight when I'm home.

Reactions: 4 users

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
When I used electric fans i would use the painless 20110 (or 20111, never remember which one's 180*.) HOWEVER, I would use this on the GROUND side of the fan relay, terminal 85 or 86, then ground the other side. This way you dont have 25+ amps going through it.

I run a heavy duty clutch fan on everything now, with a shroud of course, it's not just there to save your fingers. Both the malibu and the cutlass rarely touch 200*, the malibu runs at 160 with a 160 thermostat, even in traffic

Reactions: 2 users

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
And for the controller I'm using a $45 Davies-Craig relay setup.

Purely out of curiosity, I went Googling to learn more about this. It looks really slick. (y)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Purely out of curiosity, I went Googling to learn more about this. It looks really slick. (y)
It's great. Has a digital read out of temp and has a little button on it to set turn on temp. Can't beat it for the price. I used compression style fittings to fit the temp probe into a fitting for the cylinder head instead of pushing it through the radiator.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Three row Champion with dual Spal fans. Running a Dakota PAC2750 controller and 3 relays for 2-speed operation.
160 thermostat, low speed starts at 180, high speed at 190.
A/C trinary switch is also wired into the PAC2750 and will kick the fans onto high when the A/C high side pressure determines more air flow is needed.

IMG_1565.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It's great. Has a digital read out of temp and has a little button on it to set turn on temp. Can't beat it for the price. I used compression style fittings to fit the temp probe into a fitting for the cylinder head instead of pushing it through the radiator.
Where did you find it for $40? There site is $73 US, 1 million Canadian😉. The screw in probe adapter is $50+ alone. Still it looks like a very nice set up. I assume their thermal sensors actually last?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Multiple controller failures, relays and thermal sensors have been the trademark of running electric fans. The Stratus/Breeze fans themselves have been great and move a lot of air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor