Cooling /Radiator Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldscarnut

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
I have been getting all sorts of advice from people would could not possibly know the answer, so I will put it to the guys I think should know, and more than that, have experience with it! My 231 V6 Oil Dripper had a 2 row aluminum radiator installed. It did fine for all the time I drove it, over 2 years with never an overheat. Some have told me because the climate is mild here and I do not run A/C or even have it installed, the 2 row will be fine for normal commutes and trips. I have eliminated the cat convertor, and will run pretty much stock exhaust for W-31. Timing will probably be around stock as well, and the carb is calibrated for a W engine. I will run the best fuel I can find, maybe even with some octane boost if needed. NON A/C cooling, radiator rows 2 or 3 for standard driving and non-HP bursts. I plan to take it to swap meets and events, and cruise. I will have A fan clutch on it even w/o the a/c.

So the #1 question is; is 2 rows ALUMINUM enough? The V6 radiator has the trans. cooling also. Please keep in mind, I try very hard not to just do wholesale parts buying. I know this radiator was nearly new when I got the car, so it probably would not need anything for years to come if it cools well enough for a V8. What say you OLDS V8 G Body Guys? 👀

#2 What does anyone with experience think of the waterless coolant for everyday use?

Huen79H/O

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2018
Olds 350 are hard to cool this is the radiator I got. It work good until I charged the ac then I had to upgrade the clutch fan to cool it
Screenshot_20180813-194329_Chrome.jpg

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Only one way to find out... I bet it is fine.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It may be just as good as a 3 row copper/brass unit. One way to tell... aluminum radiators are usually better coolers than their copper/brass counterparts due to construction and wider fins. Aluminum vs copper on heat transfer itself...copper wins. It's how the radiators are made makes the difference. And aluminum ones are much lighter too.

It's the same advice as the fuel pump. Run what you have until you can't. Then get a better radiator if needed.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
A 2 core with 1" or larger tubes should cool similar or better than a 4 core. What fan are you using? Are you using a shroud?

Oldscarnut

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
It may be just as good as a 3 row copper/brass unit. One way to tell... aluminum radiators are usually better coolers than their copper/brass counterparts due to construction and wider fins. Aluminum vs copper on heat transfer itself...copper wins. It's how the radiators are made makes the difference. And aluminum ones are much lighter too.

It's the same advice as the fuel pump. Run what you have until you can't. Then get a better radiator if needed.

Yep just trying to avoid an obvious goof, but I will break in the cam watching the temp gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor