Cooling system break in. Very interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana

At the end of this article they talk about breaking in a new cooling system. Something that I've never heard about and may be why certain radiators have failed prematurely. Must read, at least, last few paragraphs

Reactions: 1 user

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Tony, that was an interesting article to read, thanks. I have always been curious about what precautions were necessary when running aluminum radiators in our classics let alone thought about breaking one in. Since I haven't filled nor run the motor yet, I will be contacting Mishimoto to seek guidance.

Reactions: 1 users

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
Interesting, I wasn’t aware of any break in. My aluminum radiator (griffin or becool, I can’t remember who made it) is one of the oldest parts on my Cutlass. Almost 20 years old. Keeps the 383 at 180 even in 100 deg with the AC on. Cooling system is always overlooked because it doesn’t make you “go faster”.

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
Interesting, I wasn’t aware of any break in. My aluminum radiator (griffin or becool, I can’t remember who made it) is one of the oldest parts on my Cutlass. Almost 20 years old. Keeps the 383 at 180 even in 100 deg with the AC on. Cooling system is always overlooked because it doesn’t make you “go faster”.
Idiots apply the same logic to brake systems.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Just to provide additional information provided by Mishimoto technician...they don't have a break-in process/procedure but do recommend using distilled vice tap water to eliminate the potential for dissolved impurities being deposited inside the radiator. With that, I'm going to mix my own 50/50 coolant and mix concentrated coolant and distilled water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor