Cooling system dye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Is there a dye that you can introduce to the coolant that will show where leaks are? Is it just colored or does it show under UV light?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Otter Zone sells some (below) but there's various manufacturers. ACDelco has their own line of dyes and such, but usually charge more for the same sh*t. But yeah, get some and a uv light and boom, you should be able to tell where the leak is coming from. (note: the below mentioned dye is NOT for GM Dexcool stuff...just so you know).

Dexcool? Use the Delco junk.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Oh wow that was easy. Is my face red. My local Auto Zonedout has it. Thanks!

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So I got the dye. WOWSERS I spilled a drop and it took gallons of water to flush it away. This better show the leak or else it may be going inside the engine.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I used this on my 4.3. Yes it lit up great under UV light. It also painted the passenger sides of my engine on the passenger side. The gadget on the water pump was jailing on that side and the fan blew it all over. Look at it in the dark and it will be real easy to trace back to the leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor