MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I think I built a diesel - 550+hp at 3600rpm... Dafuq? Added a tickle of boost and this thing is became very traction limited with the crap tires that are on it. During a 2-3 shift under load the damn thing went sideways on me. Guess I am getting the drag radials mounted and heading to the track... because there isn't much more I can do on the street.

1591738319758.png

It also sounds pretty neat over 6000rpms.

Reactions: 9 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I think I built a diesel - 550+hp at 3600rpm... Dafuq? Added a tickle of boost and this thing is became very traction limited with the crap tires that are on it. During a 2-3 shift under load the damn thing went sideways on me. Guess I am getting the drag radials mounted and heading to the track... because there isn't much more I can do on the street.

View attachment 148645

It also sounds pretty neat over 6000rpms.
That's not pump gas? Darn good it it is!

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
That's not pump gas? Darn good it it is!

Maths is hard. So is logging.

1591788096054.png

Because 5252.

1591788167005.png

Whorespowers cannot exceed terks below that number.

I am probably going to go and do something less than intelligent later. LOL! For reference this is on straight pump 91, drove to the gas station yesterday afternoon... man the looks you and your car get when two of your windows are made out of file folders and tape, have tonnes of rust holes and mismatched body panels, and it sounds like a steamboat.

IMG_20200607_154821.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
High IATs BE GONE AGAIN!

IMG_20200610_210451.jpg

IMG_20200610_210559.jpg

And POWERITH DISAPPEARITH!

IMG_20200610_210651.jpg
IMG_20200610_210709.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Are you planning to do anything for splash guards with the filter down there, or is it a dry weather only car?

I really want to get my filter down there also but I'm afraid it will gulp in water and get the filter dirty when I drive in the rain.

I already have the pipe made that goes through the headlight hole that I use at the track with no filter, but I've swapped back to filter in the battery tray every time I go back to the street.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Thanks for the pics - I can make the same/similar setup work and that is waaaay more budget friendly than my original plan. Thanks !!!

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Are you planning to do anything for splash guards with the filter down there, or is it a dry weather only car?

I really want to get my filter down there also but I'm afraid it will gulp in water and get the filter dirty when I drive in the rain.

I already have the pipe made that goes through the headlight hole that I use at the track with no filter, but I've swapped back to filter in the battery tray every time I go back to the street.

I was working on a solution to go through the core support - but it just wasn't giving me the result I desired due to the size of the filter (relative to the frame rail and lights inside the fenders/bumper/nose). So... I busted out my 5" hole saw and accepted that going through the fender liner was the best approach; albeit kind of permanent. Physically supporting the whole contraption became the knock on effect... it took me way longer than I anticipated to make this pipe extension happen (weird having a cowl hood and not using it) and started thinking it would have just been easier to intercool it. LMFAO.

Overall, the 4" pipe should support the airflow needs of the engine with the current turbo, a future turbo may necessitate stepping up to a 5" pipe. There is room for the bellmouth to replace the filter - and I can probably pull the marker light to help feed it, or make a scoop, or something (nitrous?).

Yeah, I have a hydrophobic filter sock to go back on and I will dig out the factory front fender liner inserts to cut down the trash thrown at the filter from the tires. The car will likely be a fair weather car because of drag radials; but it will have wipers, and it has heat and rear a defogger too (I am not a total savage).

Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Man, I suck at stuff sometimes.

No tach? No shift light? Helps to have the signal coming from the ECM coming through the correct pin on the bulkhead connector you installed in the firewall.

Have a shift light now, but no tach?

Yeah, you need a pin in slot 17 for that.

IMG_20200611_175922.jpg

FFS.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

No tach? No shift light? Helps to have the signal coming from the ECM coming through the correct pin on the bulkhead connector you installed in the firewall.

View attachment 148789

FFS.
I know the feeling. When we put the battery in the Camaro the first time:
1. The horn wouldn't quit honking
2. If you unlocked the doors, the fuse blew
3. One of the cooling fans just pulsed
4. I think the windows would roll down but not up, I don't remember, mercifully.

It was deflating but like you, I just chipped away at it.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013

View attachment 148789

FFS.
Did her Magistry's cannons damage your ears that bad? Everyone should know the difference between 7 and 7500rpm. My chip is at 6000.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor