MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
What's the weight of that pump overall? Does it vibrate where it really needs rubber isolation?

I think it is about 10lbs. It isn't light that's for sure.

For a Volvo it probably does need to be isolated - I imagine the motor is going to be pretty aggressive churning out 1100psi. In this car? Not so much with the whistles, humming, tire noise, rattles and buzzing.

Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
What's sketchy? Handles bad as in needs alignment, spins easy?

It goes perfectly straight down the road until the back end tries to come around the front when it comes on boost. Same as it did last summer before we mounted up the drag radials.

It is what I imagine an F40 or 1st Gen Viper to drive like.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Does it try to come around in the same direction everytime? That was issue my kid had when he had the Torsen installed that is a 1/3 2/3 power split on the rear and then when the rear end wasn't straight with the 8.5.

Perhaps it perfect, but I understand how sketchy it can be if everytime you break traction it wants to loop.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Does it try to come around in the same direction everytime? That was issue my kid had when he had the Torsen installed that is a 1/3 2/3 power split on the rear and then when the rear end wasn't straight with the 8.5.

Perhaps it perfect, but I understand how sketchy it can be if everytime you break traction it wants to loop.

Yeah, it seems to step out to the left pretty consistently. I have had this diff since the early 2000s and it sat under this car for a long, long time doing nothing until it got moving again last summer. To be fair to the posi is pretty worn out so who knows how much of a difference that makes? But, between the copious amount of power and lack of traction with street tires it is pretty wild. I'll see what I can do about getting a new rear (S60) for it in the near future, or more specifically another rear for the wagon with 4.56s. 3.73s in this will be perfect for a lot of engine/turbo/trans/tire combinations.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Munsters notwithstanding...

I have conceded that I have to move the air filter out of the fender well to make room for the EPS pump. Good news is that this car has a cowl hood: so it seems only appropriate to build a box that seals to the hood and put the filter in that... or make one with a large panel filter.

It's TIG time!

Batman Rocket GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Got to work on installing the EPS pump today. Pulled the filter and tubing out and positioned the bracket. It is sitting on a couple of studs and a spacer, a couple of random lock nuts and bolt from an LS later and we have a Ford/Volvo pump mounted to a Chevy.

PXL_20210513_220910914.jpg

The high pressure line is in now too.

PXL_20210513_204456093.jpg

I also decided that I am going to add a power steering fluid cooler. I ordered a Hayden 676 fin and plate transmission fluid cooler (meant for smaller vehicles) which has proper 3/8" ends on it which matches both the pump and the steering box.

I'll just loop it with a piece of 3/8" line for now.

Next I need to do the wiring. Boo!

Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The first thing I did today was relocate the charcoal canister to under the car and off the frame rail. It is clearly situated under the EPS pump. Surprisingly accessible all things considered.

PXL_20210514_201032201.jpg
PXL_20210514_202308957.jpg

Then I took to tracing wires in what was feeling like a vain attempt at finding the other fan exciter wire. For some reason it was buried and directed into the car? I believe it was a wire I repurposed from the C100 (?) connector. Whatever. I snipped it and lengthened it to where it needed to go. Next step was swapping the red 33 and blue 42 (hut! hut! hut!) pins so that I can attempt to use the speed parameters in the tune to turn the pump off above a certain speed. That'll be seasoned to taste.

Then it was time to run 8 gauge wires for the ground and power... only one problem: I ain't got no maxi fuse holders in stock. So I made one out of some maxi-sized female spade connectors I robbed from a fuse block. Should keep the car from burning down if there is a short.

PXL_20210515_015928892.jpg

After that was all said and done I decided to test it. 12 volts to the exciter and... nothing. Tap again. Again. And again. Nothing. WTF? Check for voltage, continuity to ground, all good. In a fit of pure rage I just held the power jumper to the exciter wire... I almost peed myself when the pump kicked on. Took me a few more moments to remember it had a 3-5 second delay.

A little more work and we should be able to test it out tomorrow.

Reactions: 9 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Mmmmm….

F09A462F-5377-4EF6-9499-0CD2746B66F9.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor