MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
No, not kidding. I guess I'm pretty ignorant on turbos because this water cooled deal is new on me. I don't think any of the turbo LS builds I've seen in the last few years were water cooled. Dad had a 77 International with a DT466 and I don't remember the diesel being water cooled, but I could easily be wrong. I often am.
Well they are just recently mainstream. I believe Dodge, Ford, and Chevrolet all use them in their turbo diesel engines. And I'm pretty sure Fords ecoboost as well as many other gas turbo engines these days. First time I saw/heard them was probably 2005. Dual ball bearing water cooled turbos have a different sound. Especially the Garrett's I've experienced.

Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I'm waiting for one of these boost guys to use a ball bearing liquid cooled variable vane turbo. If you don't know about variable vane technology... You can, theoretically, used a much larger turbo because at low engine speeds the vanes close making it a smaller turbo and giving way better throttle response. As you get into it the vanes open allowing much less restriction on exhaust and more boost. You can control the electronics via computer to have it all. No lag. Responsive as a jet. And sounds like one as well

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'm waiting for one of these boost guys to use a ball bearing liquid cooled variable vane turbo. If you don't know about variable vane technology... You can, theoretically, used a much larger turbo because at low engine speeds the vanes close making it a smaller turbo and giving way better throttle response. As you get into it the vanes open allowing much less restriction on exhaust and more boost. You can control the electronics via computer to have it all. No lag. Responsive as a jet. And sounds like one as well

Shelby had those on the CSX back in the day.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Most every Cummins on road offering have been using a VNT , variable nozzle turbo, for 10 years and they are liquid cooled as well as the nozzle controller is liquid cooled. The coolant is to attempt to keep the heat swings in a smaller range for longevity.

I think it will be a while before the weekend enthusiast will use them due their cost - they are insanely priced. But they are insanely slick as well.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Another healthy junkyard LS with self-gapping rings.
IMG_20201107_134324.jpg

That is less than 100kms of use.

• Wow
  • Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Meh, my 1500 used to shed more than that albeit over the course of 5000 miles. My dad suggested the timing chain and I ended up doing a roller when I put the marine cam in it. Haven't seen any since. Besides, the sooner you blow this up the sooner the 4.8 goes in and you can really send it.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Meh, my 1500 used to shed more than that albeit over the course of 5000 miles. My dad suggested the timing chain and I ended up doing a roller when I put the marine cam in it. Haven't seen any since. Besides, the sooner you blow this up the sooner the 4.8 goes in and you can really send it.

The oil filter says April 19, but that was just the day the oil went in. This thing didn't get any mileage until what... June/July? Of course that was the shittiest concoction of miscellaneous oils I had laying around at the time. I just put the barely used 0W-40 from the HellKitty in it for the Winter cold starts, when it gets bumped out into the elements because I need the spot to service the Mrs. truck or the TBSS.

If I had to guess this is the start of a cam/lifter issue.

But, yes - the 4.8 needs to get finished.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
The oil filter says April 19, but that was just the day the oil went in. This thing didn't get any mileage until what... June/July? Of course that was the shittiest concoction of miscellaneous oils I had laying around at the time. I just put the barely used 0W-40 from the HellKitty in it for the Winter cold starts, when it gets bumped out into the elements because I need the spot to service the Mrs. truck or the TBSS.

If I had to guess this is the start of a cam/lifter issue.

But, yes - the 4.8 needs to get finished.
HellKitty oil, worth 15hp for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor