MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
You buying the frame notch kit or doing your own thing?

My own thing. The goal is to do a full notch right down to the inner wall. I will build it back on the inside... Might be easier to buy new frame rails (LOL). I am also going to do the deepest and most comprehensive mini-tub possible.

I am working toward tucking a 30" tall drag radial.

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
My own thing. The goal is to do a full notch right down to the inner wall. I will build it back on the inside... Might be easier to buy new frame rails (LOL). I am also going to do the deepest and most comprehensive mini-tub possible.

How wide is said 30" tire? I'm curious to see what you build up on the inside of the frame. I'm guessing you do that before hitting the outside? Use what's there as a jig basically.

Reactions: 3 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana

If I had to do it all over again I would cut the notch and use that part of frame recessed into notch and send it. Many including myself bought a notch kit (UMI) and IMHO it is not necessary at all.

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Feeling cute. Might delete later. IDK.

No, not really.

IMG_20201122_133642.jpg
IMG_20201122_132729.jpg
IMG_20201122_132719.jpg

These tires are just 29.1" high, the springs are out and it is sitting on the bump stops. A 30" tall tire that is 13" in section width is going to be a treat to fit. Suspension geometry is also totally FUBAR now... great.

It's just time and money, right?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
If I had to do it all over again I would cut the notch and use that part of frame recessed into notch and send it. Many including myself bought a notch kit (UMI) and IMHO it is not necessary at all.

I didn't spend a penny on a special kit when I did the wagon.

Reactions: 5 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
How wide is said 30" tire? I'm curious to see what you build up on the inside of the frame. I'm guessing you do that before hitting the outside? Use what's there as a jig basically.

Here's what I am considering:

The M&H is the beefy boi, and the M/T is a proven piece in much more powerful cars. It really boils down to aesthetics and @ss pain in the way of fabrication to fit. The M&H will demand a wider rear wheel and every inch added is pricey (chopping up the 17" GTA reproduction wheels to suit). There is also the consideration that adding too much inboard on the wheel is going to necessitate a wider differential or use of a spacer. Neither is ideal.

But, there is a certain look I am going for and I won't be deterred.

As for the "how" of the frame notch that is a big problem that starts with disassembly of everything around it. I am dreading that. I need to get the complete inner wheel tubs out, cut back the floor to suit, all so that I can access the top of the rails.

I am thinking of running parallel tubes over and under (inboard) the rails and then I can just go ape-sh*t with the plasma cutter (which I didn't have when I did the wagon) to delete the redundant steel. I am also considering adding in additional body mounts like I did with the wagon as supports - since this mostly a non-structural part (as far as the suspension goes), and brace in what seems appropriate.

This is just me babbling on something I only just looked at an hour ago... so take it with a grain of salt.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Those extra inches in length and girth are going to be a very tight fit

That's what she said.... 😆

• Haha
  • Optimistic

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Having never notched a frame, the notch looks easy and no need for a kit. But the body clearancing is where the work comes AFAIC.

Mike, do you expect to be in far enough to hit the trunk hinges? It seems like you might be with a 30" tall tire (if yes, then PITA!!!)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor