MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
So my new flux core wire showed up today. I literally bought the cheapest stuff I could find on the Amazonian with good reviews. Over the years I have typically bought Lincoln (made in Canuckistan with imported parts) or Hobart (made in Chy-nah) brand wires. It was a solid $10+ cheaper per two pound spool.

This new stuff from Blue Demon is surprisingly made in the USA... and each spool comes with a sticker!

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00F429SZM/?tag=rippca-20

Hopefully it works well. And I'll be avoiding Hobart from now on.

gravity falls usa GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Hopefully, your Blue Demon experience is better than mine. But, you are using the product within its intended means, unlike my stoopid azz.

Reversed polarity?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
No, those brazing rods i was using are BD. They made it look so easy in the video.

Ah... yeah, I have some of those rods and they never worked for me either.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Took a break from life and headed out to the man cave. First step was to replace the decade old air hose a random hot piece of plasma cut metal killed last week. Emptied the fluid traps while I was at it.

Then I got to making things. I started with a template to box the "GNX" body bushing back in. Tracing the template onto the heavier than 20 gauge scrap and cutting it out with the body saw made it a breeze.

PXL_20210130_223026863.jpg

After that was done the purple stripping disc came out to remove the factory trunk liner off the pan. What a mess. Then ground down some offending welds and tossed some Tremclad on the parts of the frame that would be accessible no longer.

Once that was complete and dryish I took the air hammer and shear to cut off some 3/4" and 1" strips. Out came Mr. Hole Puncher and made some confetti. I probably had a little too much fun with it.

Beat a groove into the section of the tub and fitted it up. Then spot welded the strips over the cut lines. The reason for this "method" versus butt welding it is I am lazy and didn't have access to grind the seams down from the penetration. Also I got to play with my new tool and practice spot welding.

PXL_20210130_223040731.jpg

Go car, not show car.

I wanted it to look as unmolested as possible from the outside. Inside with a couple of factory 1/2" thick seam sealer beads and some rubberized coating and a carpet on top who the f*ck is going to know? While the side gaps were super tight, the panel did shorten a bit and left a 1/4" gap at the bottom and I needed something as a backer for the welds.

PXL_20210130_223011753.jpg

With some truck bed coating and some melted rubber on top no one (not reading this thread anyway) will ever be the wiser.

See Rktpwrd I can grind welds flattish!

Reactions: 9 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I likely ran out of talent making this... hell I probably borrowed some.
PXL_20210131_191013290.jpg

PXL_20210131_191027814.jpg

Someone is screaming at their screen right now saying: If you could do that - why did you create that abomination yesterday?

Because I'd still be building that inconsequential piece from yesterday and not yet have started this.

star trek deal with it GIF

Remember, I am not here to impress you. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm in for what you're doing to put in the wheel well.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor