MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Rattling noise? Must be on your end, Sir.

Buttoned up the exhaust, added a hanger and popped the wheels back on.

View attachment 200989 View attachment 200990 View attachment 200991 View attachment 200992 View attachment 200993

I am still trying to figure out how/why the rear has gone down over a half inch without any changes.

After a short drive it's decided to self clearance. Not surprisingly.

View attachment 200994

So I guess I have two options: A) Raise the car up. B) Chop it up.

Hand me my body saw...

C) Let it self clearance.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Got my bump stops installed. They are about 1/2" too tall. Cut 'em down or let nature runs it's course? Hmmm...

PXL_20220626_023738455.MP.jpg

These might be a better fit for the wagon.

Once those were in I got to unf*uckalating the fender liners. I figured the first step was to make the most of what we have before going nuts with fabrication. So I deleted the steel backing plate, cut off the mounting tabs for the encapsulated nuts, split the liner in two locations and tucked it up higher above the lip. This gains about 3/16" of clearance.

PXL_20220626_035525685.jpg
PXL_20220626_035715934.MP.jpg

For comparison.

PXL_20220626_035733892.jpg

The other side is on the docket for tomorrow... and then a test drive. And if it doesn't work we'll get creative.

Reactions: 4 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I'd chop that bumpstop to give yourself some room. As soon as the car rolls into it in a corner your spring rate will peg near infinity instantaneously. We had a guy with too long poly stops in the rear of his car and he was complaining it would randomly try to kill him. I drove it and it did get squirrely QUICK. I got under the car and that's when I noticed the bumpstops. He took them off and the car was fine after that.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'd chop that bumpstop to give yourself some room. As soon as the car rolls into it in a corner your spring rate will peg near infinity instantaneously. We had a guy with too long poly stops in the rear of his car and he was complaining it would randomly try to kill him. I drove it and it did get squirrely QUICK. I got under the car and that's when I noticed the bumpstops. He took them off and the car was fine after that.

Fortunately these are the high density foam types. I have a set of shorter tall (?) ZQ8s on the wagon that have never touched the frame on compression. It is strange how similar and yet different each car has responded to these modifications. I was expecting some inconsistencies, bit this is pretty dramatic.

FWIW, the Monte sat on the bumps for well over a decade and...

Super Tuesday Politics GIF by Joe Biden

LGB!

(Let's go bump stops!)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Fortunately these are the high density foam types. I have a set of shorter tall (?) ZQ8s on the wagon that have never touched the frame on compression. It is strange how similar and yet different each car has responded to these modifications. I was expecting some inconsistencies, bit this is pretty dramatic.

FWIW, the Monte sat on the bumps for well over a decade and...

Super Tuesday Politics GIF by Joe Biden

LGB!

(Let's go bump stops!)

If it's resting on the stops then that's a bit different as you don't get that sudden transition. I'll default to your experience as to whether or not they'll hit, but if they do in the middle of a spirited corner you'll notice it for sure. If you don't, you're going too slow. 😉

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Everything was going great until it wasn't. Fuel leak at speed ripping down the highway. No bueno. I got really lucky that it happened on the PS of the engine where the exhaust sweeps forward so the fuel wasn't landing directly on the hot side. So no fire.

But, the pucker factor was an 11.

PXL_20220627_030118626.jpg

I swear I've seen this guy before...

PXL_20220627_035940048.jpg

Got Natasha to come and rescue me.

PXL_20220627_034135223.MP.jpg

Got to order another fire extinguisher for this thing.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Close call, got lucky there.

I am not a huge fan of the aftermarket's non-desire to build fuel rails with oem style retaining clips. Did the injector 'fall' in the manifold or rail move up or???? I think a lot of fires are caused from issues related to injector leaks.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Close call, got lucky there.

I am not a huge fan of the aftermarket's non-desire to build fuel rails with oem style retaining clips. Did the injector 'fall' in the manifold or rail move up or???? I think a lot of fires are caused from issues related to injector leaks.

It got pushed down. Most likely because I cranked the base fuel pressure from 43 to 58 psi and then add boost pressure 1:1 and...

While I was being flat towed home I was explaining to Natasha over the phone why not having those clips is uber sketchy.

I am going to need find a better solution.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor