MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Does an OEM GM intake have a 'step' in the bottom of the injector bore? Curious what happened first, did the injector push down or was there more distance between the fuel rail bore and intake bore shorter than the injector itself.

I know people have commented that some aftermarket LS intakes (holley, Edel, etc.) have just a normal thru-bore for the injector port with no step to prevent the injector from going into the intake. During vacuum/boost fluctuations the injector has pushed into the manifold and had a dual effect of pressurized fuel coming out of the rail AND hot, pressurized air coming out of the injector hole in the intake and basically blasting the underhood with hot misted fuel.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I use the clips on the factory rails. and all of the aftermarket setups I've built are made so that the injector cannot come out or get pushed down so as to not allow an o-ring to get exposed just for that reason.

Do you need some clips?

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Everything was going great until it wasn't. Fuel leak at speed ripping down the highway. No bueno. I got really lucky that it happened on the PS of the engine where the exhaust sweeps forward so the fuel wasn't landing directly on the hot side. So no fire.

But, the pucker factor was an 11.

View attachment 201279

I swear I've seen this guy before...

View attachment 201280

Got Natasha to come and rescue me.

View attachment 201281

Got to order another fire extinguisher for this thing.
Bad juju!
a9b5a2de-7e29-4f7f-9b00-0c8fe4b26a9a_200_10.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
We need to use clips?!?!

Space your rail 0.01" from crushing the injector and send
If he's running a Deka height injector, then he can space them as you describe, but if he has stock height injectors or 210's, then that won't work with a stock intake and rail.

Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
If he's running a Deka height injector, then he can space them as you describe, but if he has stock height injectors or 210's, then that won't work with a stock intake and rail.
Sounds like quitter talk Jim. I bet he can make it happen. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Time for a much deserved update and clarification.

First, I will fully disclose this situation is solidly KICKING MY A$$. I am literally pissing money on the ground here... and asphyxiating myself in the process. Brain damage notwithstanding let's proceed.

Next, yes - these are tall Deka 80s. Yes, the factory TBSS intake does have the injector/o-ring stops/sealing surfaces to prevent injector drop. And please recall that this car has been running and driving just fine up until I decided to crank the base fuel pressure. Now fuel is just blowing past the o-rings. FML.

I have made new brackets that allow more downward pressure to close the tolerance. And now I have leaks on both sides... this is clearly the result of over compensation and misalignment. Best I can tell the o-rings are cockeyed in the rails - and I may have hooped them with my overzealousness. Additionally, I may need larger outside diameter o-rings which as best I can tell are specialty order products - and only come in packs of 8... so f*ck you if you need a spare in a hurry.

I will revisit the brackets later today. The shop reeks of gasoline fumes and it's not pleasant to work like that. Ventilating again. Additionally, I need to get either a pressure transducer hooked up (ideal because data, but $$$) or a better glycerin-filled gauge on the AFPR (still more $).

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I use the clips on the factory rails. and all of the aftermarket setups I've built are made so that the injector cannot come out or get pushed down so as to not allow an o-ring to get exposed just for that reason.

Do you need some clips?

Thanks for the offer, but I have lots of clips thanks to being a dumpster diving pack-rat. These aftermarket rails do need some safety built in... I should look to see how they did it on Natasha's Camaro. They have billet rails from the factree.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I bought some e-bay rails and had tabs tig'd onto them to mount on the Trailblazer intake. I had to cut down the mounting bosses as well. My rails are custom fit to my intake so if I swap intakes for whatever reason, then I'm going to need to adjust the intake to fit the rails - not a bog deal really, unless I sell the car to some unsuspecting person (I wouldn't do that though.)

I went with rails from ebay only because of the inside diameter being 5/8. I called Holley and looked everywhere for them. It seemed most were 3/8 inside diameter and only the custom rails I found were 1/2". And Holley does make a set for a Trailblazer intake that would accommodate the 210's with fuel hats. And I feel your pain with alignment - I test fitted them about 20 times to get them to align correctly. IIRC the Trailbazer mounts are not symmetrical side to side. I know my rails are side specific. I've got photos somewhere - I thought I put them in my thread, but they aren't there. Maybe I IG'd them, dunno.

As you've discovered, all O-rings aren't the same size :

But I contacted my injector guy and he sends them to me for free. He's in Buffalo - you can find him on Facebook - Grant J Farmer Fuel Injector Services.

• Sad

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Time for a much deserved update and clarification.

First, I will fully disclose this situation is solidly KICKING MY A$$. I am literally pissing money on the ground here... and asphyxiating myself in the process. Brain damage notwithstanding let's proceed.

Next, yes - these are tall Deka 80s. Yes, the factory TBSS intake does have the injector/o-ring stops/sealing surfaces to prevent injector drop. And please recall that this car has been running and driving just fine up until I decided to crank the base fuel pressure. Now fuel is just blowing past the o-rings. FML.

I have made new brackets that allow more downward pressure to close the tolerance. And now I have leaks on both sides... this is clearly the result of over compensation and misalignment. Best I can tell the o-rings are cockeyed in the rails - and I may have hooped them with my overzealousness. Additionally, I may need larger outside diameter o-rings which as best I can tell are specialty order products - and only come in packs of 8... so f*ck you if you need a spare in a hurry.

I will revisit the brackets later today. The shop reeks of gasoline fumes and it's not pleasant to work like that. Ventilating again. Additionally, I need to get either a pressure transducer hooked up (ideal because data, but $$$) or a better glycerin-filled gauge on the AFPR (still more $).
I appreciate that you waited until gas prices spiked to blow out the orings. Bold move.

If you bought 3 or 4 sets of ICT injector spacers because you couldn't measure heights.... you'd have enough large orings to fix this issue. Ask me how I know.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor