MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
One of the side bar projects I have toying with is a low-buck methanol injection system. The $500+ systema are nice - but they are engineered to make somebody else money... and that goes against the general nature of this build.

So I've tossed around a few known options: pre-turbo with a washer pump(s), or a supplemental fuel system using a dedicated alcohol-safe pump that injects post-turbo. I have both of these on hand.

In my intrawebz travels today I learned about waste oil nozzles (which are about $20 on Amazon or ebay) - the problem is they are not tunable. Then I found this video:

Seems easy enough, right? However, it would be a self-tuning system that would adjust its flow rate as the pressure rises. Except one problem - she ain't no diesel running 100psi of boost - and therefore the atomization would suffer at 14.7psi/2 bar. So how could I compensate? Pressurize the fuel source (fuel pump on a Hobbs switch) and apply boost pressure to the air side to compensate for pressure at the nozzle tip (same as a rising rate fuel pressure regulator)?

Not sure yet - it just seems like a fun concept to fart around with.

Reactions: 4 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Actually used something very similar on some large diesel burners. It's easy to tune with a needle valve before the nozzle on the atomizer. We needed 80 or so psi of air to atomize diesel at around 50gph, you might not need that for something light like meth. I know where to get very effective nozzles but they aren't cheap.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Actually used something very similar on some large diesel burners. It's easy to tune with a needle valve before the nozzle on the atomizer. We needed 80 or so psi of air to atomize diesel at around 50gph, you might not need that for something light like meth. I know where to get very effective nozzles but they aren't cheap.

Here's what I have found that works for HVLP: http://www.delavaninc.com/siphon.htm

Pretty sure I could map this out to go from 5 to 20psi and estimate the flow rate - and a 7" lift height is well within reason in an underhood application.

http://www.delavaninc.com/pdf/siphon_catalog_New.pdf

Essentially, this could be designed around a closed pressurized system by adding positive manifold pressure (boost) to both the fuel tank and obviously the air supply. And to prevent the post-sex dick dribbles: use a solenoid on a Hobbs switch set to ~5 psi to ensure a nominal flow rate is present at activation for the air supply.

Only catch I see is putting a solenoid in-line on the fuel feed to prevent unwanted fuel siphoning with manifold vacuum. Same deal as above.

After that it just adds fuel as the pressure rises.

Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Here's what I have found that works for HVLP: http://www.delavaninc.com/siphon.htm

Pretty sure I could map this out to go from 5 to 20psi and estimate the flow rate - and a 7" lift height is well within reason in an underhood application.

http://www.delavaninc.com/pdf/siphon_catalog_New.pdf

Essentially, this could be designed around a closed pressurized system by adding positive manifold pressure (boost) to both the fuel tank and obviously the air supply. And to prevent the post-sex dick dribbles: use a solenoid on a Hobbs switch set to ~5 psi to ensure a nominal flow rate is present at activation for the air supply.

Only catch I see is putting a solenoid in-line on the fuel feed to prevent unwanted fuel siphoning with manifold vacuum. Same deal as above.

After that it just adds fuel as the pressure rises.

That's a really cool idea man. I hope you try it just to get proof of concept because I think you are right, paying way too much for an under engineered system. I think you would be just as far ahead to put a cheap flex fuel pump in a 2 gallon fuel cell and tune a nozzle orifice for delivery. Still under the price point of an aftermarket setup and you probably have half the stuff to do it.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
That's a really cool idea man. I hope you try it just to get proof of concept because I think you are right, paying way too much for an under engineered system. I think you would be just as far ahead to put a cheap flex fuel pump in a 2 gallon fuel cell and tune a nozzle orifice for delivery. Still under the price point of an aftermarket setup and you probably have half the stuff to do it.

LOL - I do indeed. I've got a FF pump and a pair of 83pph injectors on the shelf just waiting for me to do something with them. Like buying these: https://www.efihardware.com/product...-Mount-Screw-In-to-suit-12-34-and-Full-Height

Rabbit Hole meet Mike. Mike, Rabbit Hole.

Reactions: 4 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Very cool idea. I hope you can make it work. It reminds me of the old nitrous systems for the Turbo Buicks.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I like to doodle... and I like to see those musings come to life.

20190219_105416.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
How environmentally conscious of you. 😉

MTO is an evil b*tch.

And with that in mind may I present to you: EMISSIONS!

20190219_175531.jpg

A fully closed PCV system... and a retro-fitted purge valve. This was so painfully boring to do. But, all the check valves are in the right places to prevent pressurizing the crankcase... and use the turbo as a vacuum pump.

• Creative
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor