MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Woohoo! Wires!

You are strange. But, in the spirit of the subject here is today's progress. Tear it all down and build it back up in your image. While LT1swap.com is a great resource - I cannot identify with the massing of key-on (IGN Pink) wires on a single circuit/fuse) as it makes diagnostics a nightmare.

20190303_204114_HDR.jpg
20190303_204256_HDR.jpg

Long story short (and this work took forever between mapping out, marking, and building the circuits): I upped the gauge on the fuel pump relay, took the 60A Maxi fuse and fed it to two 30A fuses (that I added to the block) which go to two relays (triggered by a split key-on wire) that give me the O2 A & B and INJ A & B circuits (each will have a 15A fuse in line). And that's how you get to have something to diagnose failure... which ironically could come from all my fabricobbling.

Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I was digging around in my pigtail stash looking for an IAT connector (found it!) and happened across this too:

20190304_213413.jpg

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversi...coolant-sensor-conversion-part-numbers-2.html

It is for a 3 wire CTS - which (as I understand it) allows you to connect to the factory gauges (which I intend to do). Now I just need to buy that 3 prong CTS.

And then figure out how to make the oil pressure gauge work too? There is a thread around here somewhere...

Last edited:

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Here are some other handy LS swap electrical bits...

Converting a truck harness to LS7 MAF (pin swap): https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversi...g-ls7-maf-lq4-harness-pinout-differences.html

From the pinned post (https://gbodyforum.com/threads/gbody-ls-swap-info.62539/)

GAUGES:
Stock Gbody Gauges will work with LS Sending Units.
Fuel gauge and Volt gauge are in the car wiring and works.
Oil pressure: hook up the Sending Unit from the Engine to the wire for the gauge in the cluster.
Tach: wire PCM Red/Green Pin 10 in the LS Engine Harness to the Tach in the Cluster, set the pulse correctly in the tune.
Water Temp: You need 1998 3-wire Temp Sensor GM Part # 12551708, wire Pin C to the Temp gauge in the cluster.

Speedometer: if using an electronic transmission, convert the speedo gauge in the cluster to electronic. Wire the VSS from Red/Green Pin 50 in the LS Engine Harness, can be calibrated correctly in the tune.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
These will be here shortly...

Capture.JPG

I am getting the coolant filler neck because I cannot bring myself to cut a hole in the core support at this time (seems like a total PITA. So I guess I am going to have two rad caps and two failure points, eh?

Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
A 99-02 silverado oil pressure sensor makes the stock oil pressure gage work perfect.

I have that 98 f body coolant temp sensor in the head and the 99-03 oil pressure gage wired into the stock g body harness running my 2+2 coolant and oil pressure gage. Works good.

• Informative

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
A 99-02 silverado oil pressure sensor makes the stock oil pressure gage work perfect.

I have that 98 f body coolant temp sensor in the head and the 99-03 oil pressure gage wired into the stock g body harness running my 2+2 coolant and oil pressure gage. Works good.

Good news this engine is from a '99 Silverado, eh?! Thanks for confirming that.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Well hello, beautiful!

20190305_163626.jpg

• In Love
Reactions: 7 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Good news this engine is from a '99 Silverado, eh?! Thanks for confirming that.

Yup, I don't know why they make all those adapter fittings to go from the M14 o-ring port to whatever pipe thread the factory G body style 80's sensors are, especially when the stock LS one works.

I assume nobody ever thought to just check the ohm readings of the 99-02 sensor and compare it to the ohm data GM used from the 60's on. Surprise, GM was smart and kept it the same.....

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor