MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Mike,

I finally had a chance to start from the beginning and read the whole thread. This is a cool build. The car already looks nasty with the stance. I'm tuned in and enjoying following along.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
So I just ordered two of these for $119 each shipped (which is stupid cheap): https://www.flowmastermufflers.com/keywords-search-results/?keywords=817641 and here is an alternative if those sell out: https://www.flowmastermufflers.com/...?make&year1&model&submodel&engine&category&kw FWIW, Summit will not price match these.

Yup, that is a section of 4" stainless sewer... err... exhaust pipe. Anyone want to guess where this is going?

PS. Anyone want to buy some stupid large bro-dozer exhaust tips?

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Did a thing.

222Capture.JPG

Too cheap not to try it.

Still need to get some flanges, wastegate(s), and such.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
PS. Hit me up if you want a complete twin turbo setup for a Gen I SBC.

Reactions: 2 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Not sure where they got the 98mm from but that's the turbo on my car. Actual inducer size is 68mm.

They are reliable and make power. They tend to be slow to spool but what do you expect from a turbo in that price range.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Not sure where they got the 98mm from but that's the turbo on my car. Actual inducer size is 68mm.

They are reliable and make power. They tend to be slow to spool but what do you expect from a turbo in that price range.

Yeah, I laughed at the descriptions for these things. But, yes I do know that it is a "laggy" 68mm - which should suit a high reving 4.8L very well. I am expecting to break this thing down and hog out the compressor housing, and probably smooth out the turbine house too - standard stuff.

Once we get the manual transmission in we'll have this thing on an anti-lag... because noises.

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I had no idea you could get a brand new turbo for $180. At that price why would anybody scavenge one from a junkyard?

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I had no idea you could get a brand new turbo for $180. At that price why would anybody scavenge one from a junkyard?

No idea. Setup properly these turbos can go low-10s... you aren't likely to find that in the junkyard.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Did a thing.

View attachment 87515

Too cheap not to try it.

Still need to get some flanges, wastegate(s), and such.
That's the same outfit that was spamming realoldspower.com a few years ago. Did they say how long it takes to get across the pond?

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
temp.jpg
that's an all stock, worn out 5.3 with that turbo. 4l80e and an 8.8. he ran it in the wrong gear and it was spinning on the Dyno. Also tuned very conservative at 10* timing on 91 octane pump on a mustang Dyno. Converted to Dynojet numbers and the correct gear he couldn't get it to hold it's an easy 550 wheel. 14psi.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor