MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
That's the same outfit that was spamming realoldspower.com a few years ago. Did they say how long it takes to get across the pond?

Coming out of California. I should have it by 1 May.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
View attachment 87549 that's an all stock, worn out 5.3 with that turbo. 4l80e and an 8.8. he ran it in the wrong gear and it was spinning on the Dyno. Also tuned very conservative at 10* timing on 91 octane pump on a mustang Dyno. Converted to Dynojet numbers and the correct gear he couldn't get it to hold it's an easy 550 wheel. 14psi.

That is pretty solid. I think we are going to first try this turbo on the 5.3L I recent built with and LS1 cam, ported heads and a ported LS6 intake (will be swapping LS1 cam for an LS6 unit); after that we'll finish up the 4.8 with a .600"/.600"ish 226/230 113+3 cam, stock 241 heads and a TBSS intake - then shoot for the moon.

Plan is for non-intercooled and E50... maybe meth injection.

Rearend has 4.56s and I plan on having 30" tires under it soon enough to dumb those down.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
At the bottom of the pic it says 614 crankshaft horsepower. It rolls both 245 tires when the boost comes on and it has 2.73 gears. You're going to have a bit of trouble hooking on the road with steep gears like that.

That's a hell of a problem to have....

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
At the bottom of the pic it says 614 crankshaft horsepower. It rolls both 245 tires when the boost comes on and it has 2.73 gears. You're going to have a bit of trouble hooking on the road with steep gears like that.

That's a hell of a problem to have....

My goal is to get the car into the mid-10s, and 600hp crank is plenty enough once the car is on a diet (plan as documented earlier in this thread). Part of the problem with a light car and lots of power is, as you have identified, traction. Hence the small displacement motor and ramped in boost (by nature or by design) to moderate delivered torque; if the transmission ends up being the modernized M22 I expect it to be - a close ratio gear set should prove plenty exciting with the 4.56s (dumbed down by the tall tires) on the road and track.

Reactions: 3 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
My goal is to get the car into the mid-10s, and 600hp crank is plenty enough once the car is on a diet (plan as documented earlier in this thread). Part of the problem with a light car and lots of power is, as you have identified, traction. Hence the small displacement motor and ramped in boost (by nature or by design) to moderate delivered torque; if the transmission ends up being the modernized M22 I expect it to be - a close ratio gear set should prove plenty exciting with the 4.56s (dumbed down by the tall tires) on the road and track.

Exciting indeed!! The rush or torque is intoxicating to say the least.

So turbos are really a torque mulitplier which shows up in stock engines especially. Mine makes more torque than horsepower which I like. It acts stock until you push the loud pedal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Exciting indeed!! The rush or torque is intoxicating to say the least.

So turbos are really a torque mulitplier which shows up in stock engines especially. Mine makes more torque than horsepower which I like. It acts stock until you push the loud pedal.
I hope that is how my six is! Retarded six cylinder and when the boost comes on a rocket. As for the turbo, that is stupidly cheep. I don't think I would use one on highly modified engine, but a junk yard engine you bet.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I hope that is how my six is! Retarded six cylinder and when the boost comes on a rocket. As for the turbo, that is stupidly cheep. I don't think I would use one on highly modified engine, but a junk yard engine you bet.

Oh, you'll enjoy the Buick V6 with a turbo. My stock long block LC2 had a T63E w/.63 A/R housing strapped to it, it was the smallest of the "large shaft" turbos and was very comparable to this Chinese GT45 (other than the size of the turbine wheel/housing)... and with a decent converter it ripped!

https://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/precision-turbo/buick-turbos.html

Turning a 231 into a 462 with another atmosphere worth of pressure is something else. Very excited for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Looks like your moving along Mike, awesome. And I can attest to the lc2, when I hit 20psi at the top of first, grab second, it spins the 315 nittos without issue.

Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The high speed wanton noodle spinner boost device showed up at my logistic holding company today. Still need to decide if I am going to run twin 44mm or a single 60mm wastegate(s). More plumbing is more weight, fabrication, and points of failure (plus crap I need to tune). Hmmm...

Last edited:

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
My setup runs a single 44mm wastegate with a suboptimal approach angle. It has zero trouble keeping this turbo under control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor