Core Ground Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
While I was cleaning my "extra parts" tub out I found a bag labled wagon heater core. Small copper bracket and a thin ground wire. This might have been the original one from the wagon but Ive picked up smuch crap over the past few years I probably just used another one when I reassembled the box.
My question is why is the bracket and core grounded ? I guess I didnt ground the one I have in the box now. The blower motor is grounded already. Will this be an issue ?

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The bracket wouldn't fit the aftermarket heater core so I left it out. I didn't like doing so and may end up regretting it. I kept it.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
e·lec·trol·y·sis
/əˌlekˈträləsəs/
noun

1. 1.
    CHEMISTRY
    chemical decomposition produced by passing an electric current through a liquid or solution containing ions.

Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The bracket wouldn't fit the aftermarket heater core so I left it out. I didn't like doing so and may end up regretting it. I kept it.

your heater core is probably aluminum and the stock is brass so maybe the aftermarket core won't need the strap. If you are concerned you could ground one of the tubes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
your heater core is probably aluminum and the stock is brass so maybe the aftermarket core won't need the strap. If you are concerned you could ground one of the tubes.
It is aluminum. I could solder a wire to a tube.🤔

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
My core is copper/brass. Too late to think about it. I tore into it after I read some of the replies. Screw it. Ive got an extra box seal anyway.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Thats not a big issue.
Im glad I had a new rubber seal for the box though. I tried to split it without damaging it but no such luck. It tore at almost every bolt because I used the black rope sealer in every hole when I was putting it together. I might even buy another full seal kit since the rubber block for the heater core fell apart too.
I guess it was bound to happen. I remember a thread not too long ago about not putting the insulation on the evaporator.. guess thats getting done now too. SMH

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Interestingly, according to one viewpoint, ground straps to your heater core is NOT recommended. The first two paragraphs of this article can make you stop and think. I tried to look up whether aluminum or brass was a worse offender for electrolysis when I ran into this point. It kind of makes sense as not all manufacturers ground their heater cores. Apparently, Ford engineers couldn't settle on grounds or not, but eventually not.

It does describe a procedure for checking your coolant voltage, however.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor