Core to fender braces: Curved vs Straight debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I was under the assumption my car called for the straight bars since it's a '78. After closer inspection there aren't any provisions to mount either. This doesn't necessarily rule out using either bar so I'm going to post the differences if anyone is planning to use either set. If you're running either set, please post what car you're using them in and whether they're straight or curved to clear up some confusion. Most of this might be self explanatory for a lot of us, but hopefully it will be of use to someone not as familiar with g-bodies. Feel free to add corrections.

The curved bars measure about 29.5" long
The straight measure about 26.5 long
1978GrandPrix088.jpg

1978GrandPrix089.jpg

Here's the inner fender on my '78 GP. Notice how there aren't any holes drilled to mount anything.
1978GrandPrix090.jpg

Here's a mock up of where the straight bar meets the fender. I'm holding it in place so it's higher on the fender than it would be mounted. Notice where the round hole to the lower left is located.
1978GrandPrix091.jpg

Here's a mock up of the where the curved bar meets the fender. I'm holding it in place so it's higher on the fender than it would be mounted. Notice that the round hole is directly underneath the bar now. This tells me the curved bar is the one I want to use.
1978GrandPrix093.jpg

Looking at the core support end of the bar, you'll see that it's flat on one end, recessed on the other. The flat end installs on the core support. If you have it upside down on the wrong side it won't fit properly.
1978GrandPrix103.jpg

This is the hole in the core support that the bar attaches to.
1978GrandPrix085.jpg

Here's the clip and bolt you would use to mount them. You can always improvise with something from a hardware store too if need be.
1978GrandPrix087.jpg

These are the two different style clips to mount the braces. The short ones are for the core support, the longer style is for the fenders. If you try to use the short style in the fender you're going to be disappointed. If you prefer, new hardware will work as well and look much better anyway.
1978GrandPrix098.jpg

Here's a pic of the long clip slid onto the fender from the access hole. Note that if you're removing these from a car in the junkyard be careful. If they fall into the fender kiss them goodbye.
1978GrandPrix099.jpg

Here's the curved bar mounted to the core and mocked in place with the clip. Ever wonder why the overflow tank was shaped that way? Now you know why.
1978GrandPrix101.jpg

1978GrandPrix100.jpg

From here I would use an automatic center punch to mark my drill point and use the appropriate bit. It's a done deal from there.
1978GrandPrix104.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have the curved bars on my 86 GP....if you want I can take a picture of the bars in place later today if that would help you

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
pontiacgp said:
I have the curved bars on my 86 GP....if you want I can take a picture of the bars in place later today if that would help you

No need for that. I know I need the curved in mine. I'm interested in seeing what the Regal, Monte, Malibu, Cutlass, Elco owners are running. I'm curious if there's any consistency between years or body styles. I know my '78 4 door Lemans used the straight bars and assumed my GP would use the same.....I was wrong.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
My two 79 the 82 Camino's and my son's 81 Malibu all have provisions for the straight one. Here's a pic of my son's as we were installing....

p6160028.jpg

p6160029q.jpg

I've sold several sets of the straight and one curved...the straight ones came from a range of 78-80 Cutlass to 86 Bonneville. The curved ones I sold came from a mid 80's Grand Prix and I've only seen the curved ones on the Grand Prix... around here anyway.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I put a set of straight bars from a 1985 Bonneville on my 1980 Malibu. They bolted right up.

26087_379219496422_554071422_4209263_4015794_n.jpg

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
So right now it's looking like
-Straight bars on Malibus & El Caminos
-Curved on GP's

Waiting on Cutlass, Regal, Monte, LeMans & Grand AM owners to step up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor