Correct Starting Procedure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
As I am going through the material in my Chilton's Repair Manual it makes several references to "Correct Starting Procedure" Of the Vehicle but does not give the how to correctly start the car. If there is a correct procedure of starting the car do share, very good chance I have not been starting this thing up correctly.

1981 Chevy Malibu K 3.8L OHV

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It's pretty simple. Pump the gas a couple of times. That squirts gas into the manifold and sets the choke. Turn the key to "start" and when it fires up, release it back to "run". It should run at a fast idle for several minutes until the choke opens completely. Then you can hit the gas pedal once and the fast idle will drop down to curb idle. When the temperature gauge begins to move you can drive away slowly. If no gauge give it a few minutes to heat up anyway. That is all.

Reactions: 3 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
It's pretty simple. Pump the gas a couple of times. That squirts gas into the manifold and sets the choke. Turn the key to "start" and when it fires up, release it back to "run". It should run at a fast idle for several minutes until the choke opens completely. Then you can hit the gas pedal once and the fast idle will drop down to curb idle. When the temperature gauge begins to move you can drive away slowly. If no gauge give it a few minutes to heat up anyway. That is all.

I figured as much, even tried what you just gave me here on the first start up and a few others, however for some reason I have to hold down the Throttle in order for the engine to even fire up. I do have on order (though I have not been contacted on when or if it was sent) a new Fuel pump to Carburetor fuel line as it is a bit twisted on the rounded part of the line up toward the Carburetor. I am assuming it's either the line or I am just going to have to replace the pump. . . .

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Do some testing first. Remove the air cleaner. Work the throttle and look to see if the accellerator pump is working. You should see two good solid squirts of gas into the bores. Make sure the choke closes when you open the throttle (cold engine). An '81 has an electric choke. As the oil pressure rises the choke gets 12 volts and heats up. But as soon as the engine starts the vacuum diaphram on the side pulls the choke open a bit so enough air can get in as it warms up. Look for that to happen. The twisted gas line should be replaced but do a fuel pump test too. Put a rubber gas hose on the end and put the other end in a coffee can. Crank the engine. It should pump plenty of gas. Be careful not to start a fire.

Reactions: 3 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Do some testing first. Remove the air cleaner. Work the throttle and look to see if the accellerator pump is working. You should see two good solid squirts of gas into the bores. Make sure the choke closes when you open the throttle (cold engine). An '81 has an electric choke. As the oil pressure rises the choke gets 12 volts and heats up. But as soon as the engine starts the vacuum diaphram on the side pulls the choke open a bit so enough air can get in as it warms up. Look for that to happen. The twisted gas line should be replaced but do a fuel pump test too. Put a rubber gas hose on the end and put the other end in a coffee can. Crank the engine. It should pump plenty of gas. Be careful not to start a fire.

Will do Thanks, starting Monday anyway as I have Mid Shift to work on Sunday.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
If the car sits around for long periods of time, it can take a lot of cranking to get the fuel flowing.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
If you get it set right, 1 pump and it will light off.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor