Correct Trunk paint ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Good afternoon forum members. I have a question on the truck paint and color for my 1980 Malibu.. Was the color a flat black, gloss black, of a spackle type paint. Want to get in back to an original look before adding the carpet mat. Thanks for your help....

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
All of the ones I've been in were a semi gloss (shinier than satin, but not full gloss) where they had been protected (spare well, under mat, high on inside of quarters)

Definitely not zolotone, though I have seen it done on "restored" cars

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Thanks for your reply my friend. This was formally a Drag Strip car and I am getting it back to a street worthy ride. It is a flat black at present and I didn't think it looked correct. The guy I got it off of was about to add a fuel cell but didn't so the truck is in very nice shape and I just wanted it to look as close to original as possible. Thanks again for your reply ....

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
You're welcome!

Rare that they make it back from drag use.

Reactions: 1 user

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Yes it is ... This one was actually sitting in a garage for a little over 12 years after its strip history. Then a divorce put it up for sale. Just lucky timing... I wasn't really looking for it..... Thanks again.....

ranllett

Apprentice
Dec 29, 2013
Calgary Alberta Canada
WV Chevy Mann
Attached are some photo of a 1978 Malibu Trunk. Un-restored survivor. I hope that helps.

Randy in Calgary

IMG_2677.JPG
IMG_2678.JPG
WV Chevy Mann
IMG_2676.JPG
IMG_2676.JPG
IMG_2677.JPG
IMG_2676.JPG IMG_2677.JPG IMG_2678.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Hello and thanks.. Those pictures really show what I needed to know for sure. I appreciate your time in getting those to the forum for me to see .. Thanks again my friend ..

Regards.
Terry

Nov 4, 2012
Not factory correct but- I originally just painted mine with a semi gloss slightly rubberized black paint, but now having Raptor Liner in my truck bed, I may eventually buy a tintable raptor liner kit and tint the raptor liner to match the exterior paint pretty close, then spray the trunk with it. It gets covered with a full carpeting kit anyways, but might be a nice extra step.

Reactions: 1 user

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Hello .... That is a very good idea... I really never thought about that type of use in the trunk. Might not look to bad and great for a durable lining for sure. And as far as original after the carpet it will be unseen basically... Thanks for that idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor