Cost Effective Swap Pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
81cutlass, thanks for the picture, that red box is exactly the issue that stops it from dropping in.

WIll this pan work with a higher mount? I think it will (I have a brand new for for sale if interested). The truck pan will not work with holley mounts, I had that pan on there first and its way too big and was sitting on the frame.

Holley certainly has the lowest mounts out of everything that I have seen but I also, in my opinion, believe that theirs is the best out there as far as putting the engine where it is supposed to be geometry wise and best fit for clearing the hvac box and similar which was important to me.

I am still trying to find a way to save some money on using the holley system, I am leaning towards a g force cross member and pypes exhaust with the hooker headers rather then the holley parts. I personally like those 2 items better than the holley parts and they save money. I think holley hands down also has the best headers for a g body, there is nothing out there that keeps the headers all tucked up where they should be, that's in conclusion to reading about 1000 forum posts on what does and does not fit. Are there some that will physically fit into the car? absolutely, but they usually hang low and need some beating or bending to fit. I am at about 5500 just getting a junk yard pull out 5.3 in and running and throw another 1200 on that for cam and stall. If you use the holley cross member and exhaust it's another 500, add stainless headers and its another 400..... It adds up fast so that is why I am working on some areas to save. So right now the plan is holley mounts, holley 302-2 pan, holley coated long tubes, G force 4l60e cross member and pypes 3" X pipe exhaust out the rear.

Reactions: 1 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Someone send me a friggen truck pan and Ill mill it and tig it for you. Ill even do it free.

Reactions: 2 users

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
Someone send me a friggen truck pan and Ill mill it and tig it for you. Ill even do it free.

Don't threaten me with a good time! I've got two! I plan on using a truck pan for my swap.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
81cutlass, thanks for the picture, that red box is exactly the issue that stops it from dropping in.

WIll this pan work with a higher mount? I think it will (I have a brand new for for sale if interested). The truck pan will not work with holley mounts, I had that pan on there first and its way too big and was sitting on the frame.

Holley certainly has the lowest mounts out of everything that I have seen but I also, in my opinion, believe that theirs is the best out there as far as putting the engine where it is supposed to be geometry wise and best fit for clearing the hvac box and similar which was important to me.

I am still trying to find a way to save some money on using the holley system, I am leaning towards a g force cross member and pypes exhaust with the hooker headers rather then the holley parts. I personally like those 2 items better than the holley parts and they save money. I think holley hands down also has the best headers for a g body, there is nothing out there that keeps the headers all tucked up where they should be, that's in conclusion to reading about 1000 forum posts on what does and does not fit. Are there some that will physically fit into the car? absolutely, but they usually hang low and need some beating or bending to fit. I am at about 5500 just getting a junk yard pull out 5.3 in and running and throw another 1200 on that for cam and stall. If you use the holley cross member and exhaust it's another 500, add stainless headers and its another 400..... It adds up fast so that is why I am working on some areas to save. So right now the plan is holley mounts, holley 302-2 pan, holley coated long tubes, G force 4l60e cross member and pypes 3" X pipe exhaust out the rear.

Well I am glad you are doing an objective review of the parts. And yes, the various combinations of parts can definitely lead to fitment issues. Holley did build their stuff as a kit, and should be used as such. That said, I did use their headers with 1" set back engine mount adapter plates, and it worked well. But, it did set the engine higher, and obviously created no fitment issues with the stock 98-02 F-body oil pan. Conversely, using the MetalTek mounts in the Monte with the 302-3 pan worked fine as it is essentially the 302-2 with some very poorly placed turbo drain bungs - which I would almost guess to be even more inaccessible using Holley's own mounts in a G-body.

There is still reason to believe that by not using Holley's mounts this pan should function... noting that the trade off is the engine is mounted higher and that will impact ease of installation/fitment of top-end parts and the transmission chosen, and your driveline angles.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Don't threaten me with a good time! I've got two! I plan on using a truck pan for my swap.

just pay freight back n forth to MI and tell me how much needs to come out of it. Whats an oil pick up look like on an LS? Been too long since I had one apart

GPNX

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2016
I used the truck pan too. It hangs down low but I figured I could get another engine cheaper than the right oil pan. I used regular manifolds camaro on driver side and truck on passenger. Truck accessories and truck intake.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Got my jegs catalog in the mail today, and this puppy is in the new products section....

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/50239/10002/-1

Interesting. Compared to the Holley it looks thick up front. Holley put the engine as low as possible to facilitate the correct driveline angles. Judging by the thickness of that JEGS pan it's going to require too much engine angle. No problem, just hack the G body tunnel and it will fit. Makes you wonder what criteria these design guys use when they decide to introduce a new pan to the market. They should be studying vehicle fitment and market accordingly.

1550666411417.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor