Could anyone tell me what this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fly_25

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2020
Poking around in the dash of an '85 cutlass and found this, pink/black and a black wire going through a connector, then to a black wire with a clear plastic thing on the end. Any ideas? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20201116_171749.jpg
    IMG_20201116_171749.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 416

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Poking around in the dash of an '85 cutlass and found this, pink/black and a black wire going through a connector, then to a black wire with a clear plastic thing on the end. Any ideas? Thank you!
first guess: looks like a bulb/fiber optic connector. See if the white part disconnects from the gray, bet there's a bulb in there. I know there's a fiber optic dealy on my 87 for the headlight switch, so you can find it in the dark.. maybe its the same, or similar and it got broken/disconnected just shoved in there.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Yes, its a fiber optic illumination for the head light switch.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
GP403 is exactly right. 84-88 rocker headlight switches used a special flat topped bulb in that gray housing which concentrated the light to the fiber optic cable which goes to that clip that attaches to the side of the rocker switch. It lights up a tiny blue spot on the side of the rocker so you can find it. Sometimes that lamp got so hot it would melt crap. If it's not lit, it's probably because the bulb is toast.

I used to have a part number for that lamp. I recall having to get one through the dealership one time and was surprised to learn it had a specific type.

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
GP403 is exactly right. 84-88 rocker headlight switches used a special flat topped bulb in that gray housing which concentrated the light to the fiber optic cable which goes to that clip that attaches to the side of the rocker switch. It lights up a tiny blue spot on the side of the rocker so you can find it. Sometimes that lamp got so hot it would melt crap. If it's not lit, it's probably because the bulb is toast.

I used to have a part number for that lamp. I recall having to get one through the dealership one time and was surprised to learn it had a specific type.
Really? When I did my interior LEDs I just popped one in there and it worked. I can't recall if it was the same type as the dash or the larger ones like the footwell courtesy lights, but I don't remember it being unique... Maybe I just got lucky lol.

fly_25

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2020
Thanks for all the replies! Very cool little feature. Also need help knowing if this ground is important for anything, the tabs broke off so I can't connect it anywhere now, I am having some weird dash electrical problems

Attachments

• 16055765921483992207712197059474.jpg
    16055765921483992207712197059474.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 178

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Really? When I did my interior LEDs I just popped one in there and it worked. I can't recall if it was the same type as the dash or the larger ones like the footwell courtesy lights, but I don't remember it being unique... Maybe I just got lucky lol.
Yes, I believe a 194 or 168, et al, bulb would work, or any LED version should work. I found a 194 in the 87 Salon I bought. It was technically the wrong bulb, but it worked until it didn't. IIRC, it's a wedge base. I don't think anyone back in the 80s would figure they'd make LED's to fit one day. If you can run an LED, by all means, do it. It doesn't get blazing hot and still puts out well enough light to see it in the dark. IIRC, the bulb should light up any time the ignition is in "run".

The original bulbs were designed for fiber optics with a "concentrator" style head on it. Net time I get under the dash of one of the G's, I'll pop it loose and see wtf is in there.

Reactions: 1 users

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Thanks for all the replies! Very cool little feature. Also need help knowing if this ground is important for anything, the tabs broke off so I can't connect it anywhere now, I am having some weird dash electrical problems

Yes. All the grounds.

I missed one ground wire last time I had my dash out, very close to where that one is if not the same one. When I turned my wipers on, one headlight lit up, turn indicators half lit all the time, lots of strange things can happen

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor