Could poorly adjusted carb cause white exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

313Jay

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2010
Northern VA
Just put a rebuilt qjet on my olds 307. its the e4mc. Everything went fine, started right up, but now I have white smoke in my exhaust that disapates in the atmosphere very quickly, like there is antifreeze or something in there,

Wasn't doing this before the new carb, so not sure why this is happening, could improper carb setting/tuning cause this?

anyone know, it would be great help thanks

bawazir

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2010
Glad you brought this up, my buddy is car have the same dang problem

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Black smoke = running rich
Blue/White smoke = oil
White smoke = water/coolant

There's nothing you could have done to the carb that would cause water or coolant to get into the combustion chambers. You either have an internal coolant leak, or condensation in the exhaust system, or some watered-down gas in the tank. Does the white smoke dissipate after a while? Has it rained recently? Is it humid? All these would indicate condensation, which is no big deal.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Check the spark plugs. Any that are washed clean indicate coolant in the cylinder.

313Jay

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2010
Northern VA
Doe sent smell sweet, and actually went away last night when driving around. Which is off because it was colder and dark, so If I had white smoke I should have seen it.

I did find that my Anti Diesel solonoid was not hooked up and that I had another ECM controlled device unhooked.

Also I sprayed quite a bit of carb cleaner in there, I did soak up before installing though. I bought some heet and will add that at the new tank of gas this week.

BTW, carb is great, Idle is smooth in gear, maybe a tiny bit fast, (really fast in park), Guranteedcarberaters.com do good work and great trouble shooting over the phone, very helpful.

If any one needs a carb go there.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
The actual link is http://www.guaranteedcarbs.com

I took a quick look there and the prices are decent. The Q-jets are under $200, the CCC's are $218. The 2GC's and Dualjets are comparable to Rock Auto's prices. All those are if you have a core to turn in of course.

KINGDADDY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2010
DID YOU EVER GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS MY 350 MONTE DOES THE SAME THING BUT ONLY WHEN I REV IT .MINE WAS A EFI MOTOR CHANGED TO CARB HEADS ARE BEING REBUILT AS OF THIS WEEKEND

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor