Could someone share some detail pics of a center console/shift setup for an 87ish El Camino?

schwim

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2022
Coastal VA, US
Heya everyone!

1987 ElC 305/200 4r

I've got a column shift/sofa-equipped 87 ElC that I'm considering converting to a floor shift setup but I'm having problems finding some pics of what the stock console/floor shift setup looks like. I've gone through the parts sites like OPG but I'm not finding any pics of the entire setup.

Would someone mind sharing some pics of their interior with the desired setup as well as any insight you might have on the conversion process?

Thanks for your time!

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Heya everyone!

1987 ElC 305/200 4r

I've got a column shift/sofa-equipped 87 ElC that I'm considering converting to a floor shift setup but I'm having problems finding some pics of what the stock console/floor shift setup looks like. I've gone through the parts sites like OPG but I'm not finding any pics of the entire setup.

Would someone mind sharing some pics of their interior with the desired setup as well as any insight you might have on the conversion process?

Thanks for your time!

Just need some basic information on your 87 El Camino, Is this a full bench seat or split 45/55 set up? (Split 45/55 will already have the inner floor mounts.) Do you have any of the parts to do the swap or just the El Camino and an idea for the swap?

Reactions: 1 user

schwim

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2022
Coastal VA, US
Just need some basic information on your 87 El Camino, Is this a full bench seat or split 45/55 set up? (Split 45/55 will already have the inner floor mounts.) Do you have any of the parts to do the swap or just the El Camino and an idea for the swap?
Thanks very much for the help!

I should have been more specific, sorry about that.
It's currently got the stock 45/55 split bench seat. OE isn't important to me in this setup, I was thinking the following:

A console that resembles the stock one I found this OE style offering but I'll find something more cost effective.

A racing-style seat like this. Again, I don't need racing-style seats but this seems a good way to get a pair of seats for under $500.

An aftermarket shifter I can place on whatever ends up being the console.

Any thoughts on a good way to move forward and options would be most welcome. Let me know if you need more info from me.

nmXUeUn.png

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Thanks!
I'll see what I have in pictures and information that can possibly help you.
May take a day or two.

black_aerocoupe

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
Stock, the console cars had a rectangular bracket spot-welded to the floor. This bracket is reproduced; Mike's Minted has it. The console storage has 2 screws at the bottom into the bracket.

They received a rear shifter bracket; the back of the shifter screws down here. The front two "arms" of the shifter screwed to the floor into rivet nuts. These spin but that's OEM for you.

Under the shifter trim plate are two more screws holding the console body to the shifter frame, forward of the shifter stick. The console body always cracks here.

The last paragraph basically means figure out your forward console support. What you might try is: replace the fasteners that join the front tray and the main console body with bolts that are a little long. Then, they can slot into a simple bracket.

Personally, I found the stock cable shifters unreliable with age. And the steel column shift linkage was reliable for me. For that reason, I have always liked the idea of the stock cable shifter being combined with the column linkage. If the cable breaks, it's easy to shift at the column. If your searches come up with a good console shift column, any 82-88 column can use your 84-88 cruise stalk, your 84-87 wiper control, and turn signal switch.

There is detail left out that applies to 78-85 I have left out.

I am not going to have pics that help much, due to manual conversion.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary

While there are no measurement marks in the picture below, it at least gives relative locations of the console brackets, forward and aft, and a picture of the uninstalled console with 'bread box'.
IMG_2135.jpg

Last edited:

Highredline

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2021
Here are pics from my 86 elco SS factory console. It is identical to my 88 Monte Carlo SS console.

Attachments

• 20230518_224014.jpg
    20230518_224014.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 64
  • 20230518_224003.jpg
    20230518_224003.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 69

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor