Couple of Qjet issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
My Regal was acting up recently. After inspecting around I found a vacuum leak. There is a crack in my Qjet's baseplate by under the brake booster port. Already bought a 86 LG4 parts donor off of Ebay to fix my 86 L69 carb. I will have to gage the idle and bypass air ports to make sure they are the same size. I believe most of the differences between the two carbs are the jets, rods, and AV setting.

When I unbolted the Qjet I found the front of the mounting gasket, the tab that goes under the front well plugs was wet with gas. Took a look at the front well plugs and they were damp with gas. Looks like that needs fixing too but not sure how. Just smearing sealant over the plugs does not last long from what I read. Cliff Ruggles suggests to drill the plugs out, tap the bores, and install threaded plugs with Marinetex. However, I heard reports of the Marinetex failing, even with the plugs due to heat cycles. Some people suggest to use Permatex sleeve retainer instead as its meant to lock cylinder sleeves and valve guides in place. Another solution I heard is to simply drive the plugs a little further into the bores, and then punch the centers. Not sure sure which way to go.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Cliff Ruggles suggests to drill the plugs out, tap the bores, and install threaded plugs with Marinetex. However, I heard reports of the Marinetex failing, even with the plugs due to heat cycles.

I ended up just epoxying mine cuz I was lazy, but i read the same about marinetex and thought a good idea might be gasgacinch (aviation form a gasket) on the threads. It's very resistant to fuel, and like super glue. Of course this would likely be permanent, so it better work!

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Found this type of solder meant for use on pot metal castings like carburetors being sold by a company called Muggyweld. They even show it being used to seal Qjet well plugs. Anyone have with any experience with this stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor