cpp spindle and C5 brake upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

80malibudriver

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 18, 2019
ok so i'm going the cpp spindle route with c5 standard brakes i have 18x8 us ramblers on the car and i was sure they wont't fit without spacers. yup needs a 1/4 in spacer to fit. not a fan of spacers.
i'm taking off the 2in drop spindles to raise the car but adding 1/2 in taller lower ball joints to help the bump steer(already have 1 in taller upper ball joints and sphon. upper control arms) what brake hoses are y'all using for this swap im lloking for dot legal ss braided hoses

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I believe Tobin @ KORE3 brakes has DOT SS braided hoses for C5/6 PBR based set-ups.

Where was the interference w/the wheels? I would think standard (12.8") C5 brakes would clear 18's w/o issue.

Reactions: 2 users

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
ok so i'm going the cpp spindle route with c5 standard brakes i have 18x8 us ramblers on the car and i was sure they wont't fit without spacers. yup needs a 1/4 in spacer to fit. not a fan of spacers.
i'm taking off the 2in drop spindles to raise the car but adding 1/2 in taller lower ball joints to help the bump steer(already have 1 in taller upper ball joints and sphon. upper control arms) what brake hoses are y'all using for this swap im lloking for dot legal ss braided hoses
Call Tobin at kore3, he can hook you up with everything. I got all my calipers, brackets, and hoses from him. The hoses he sells are very high quality and dot - much nicer than the Wilwood hoses I bought for my k10 truck.

Reactions: 1 user

80malibudriver

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 18, 2019
thank you for the replies the face of the caliper rubs the spokes of the wheel the inside diameter has more than enough clearance

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
I got my hoses from KORE3 , SAE on one end and metric on the other for C5 brakes on my '79. Very pleased with quality and fit.

TType85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
I am running the CPP spindles but upgraded to the J55 (Z51) 13.4" rotors. They fit perfectly with the Gbodyparts 18" GNX replicas no spacers. The 18x8 has a 4" backspace and clears the caliper fine. I am running a full ridetech coil-over suspension up front with a 255-35 tire and it does not rub.

Kore 3 for the braided lines.

(I painted the caliper black after this picture)
1622089883460.png

Reactions: 3 users

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
thank you for the replies the face of the caliper rubs the spokes of the wheel the inside diameter has more than enough clearance
I have the 18x8 US Ramblers as well on my 85MCSS with 2016 Camaro SS calipers & C6 rotors. Ran into the same issue with the inside spokes touching the spokes. Needed spacers as well (don't like either, but...), used Russell 657330. Here's my post:

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
This is where the dimensions for caliper clearance from the aftermarket wheel manufacturers is needed. It not only requires the proper ID barrel/hoop, it also requires the right caliper clearances depending on the brake set-up. Guys that are Ok w/widening the track width are fine if a cheap-ish (relatively speaking) wheel & spacer combo can provide the needed clearance. The rest of us that need the wheel @ the back-spacing/offset chosen have to be much more diligent w/the selections.

TType85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
This is where the dimensions for caliper clearance from the aftermarket wheel manufacturers is needed. It not only requires the proper ID barrel/hoop, it also requires the right caliper clearances depending on the brake set-up. Guys that are Ok w/widening the track width are fine if a cheap-ish (relatively speaking) wheel & spacer combo can provide the needed clearance. The rest of us that need the wheel @ the back-spacing/offset chosen have to be much more diligent w/the selections.
This 100%.
My first go at this I had 2019 Camaro SS Brembo setup with C7 Z51 rotors on Blazer spindles and it would have taken a 16mm spacer to give the needed 3mm for caliper to wheel face clearance with the 8" wide wheel I have. I was not comfortable with pushing the track width that much further out so I sold that off and went with the CPP/C6 Z51 stuff.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
This 100%.
My first go at this I had 2019 Camaro SS Brembo setup with C7 Z51 rotors on Blazer spindles and it would have taken a 16mm spacer to give the needed 3mm for caliper to wheel face clearance with the 8" wide wheel I have. I was not comfortable with pushing the track width that much further out so I sold that off and went with the CPP/C6 Z51 stuff.
I have a C6/Z51 set-up & I'm having to sit on it as wheel selection is pricey given the look I'm trying to achieve (Muscle-car era vs. Metric era or current budget pro-touring offerings). Couple the brake clearance issue w/the ride height & finding wheels is even more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor