cracked brake lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2006
Ewa Beach
This past Friday I did an oil change, and a 4 tire rotation on my 87 SS. I observed that my front brake lines were cracked and torn. I ordered "Earl's" stainless brake lines and speed bleeders. Has anyone installed these before? What's the removal and installation procedure to do it sucesfully? If I utilize speed bleeders, can I bleed the fronts only ( i.e. driver and passednger front caliper)?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Speed bleeders don't change the process for bleeding the brakes and you can bleed just the front brakes since the front brakes are independant of the back. Your master cylinder has a separate resevoir for the front and back brake system and bleed the passenger side brake first since that brake is the furthest from the master. As far as changing the flex lines I have usually changed the brake line since the line is corroded making it impossible (for me anyway) to remove to old flex line without mangling the metal brake line.

I wouldn't drive the vehicle if those flex lines are in bad shape. Those flex lines can explode under braking pressure and you'll lose your front bakes It happened to me driving a friends car and I didn't really enjoy the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor