Cracked Taillight

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamthecarley

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2018
This is my first post in this forum so heyyy. My name's Carley and I got my first old skool about a month ago, 83 Monte Carlo. Needs a lot of TLC but a good strong car under the hood.

My question is: In order to get it inspected so I can register and get driving daily, one of the few need-tos on my list is a cracked taillight. Obviously I could buy one but damnnnnn that gets expensive and I want to try to fix this if I can first. Does anyone have ideas on how to soften whatever adhesive/epoxy is holding the parts together? I have already put in oven at 200°F for 20 minutes with no luck and I don't want to break more.

It's a very simple, clean crack that isn't even the full width of the piece. It seems too easy.

Thank y'all!
980400a6861bb879bb077429dfa08551.jpg
6ac5f429e3206e08c5d74ab0d54ee8cb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Welcome, Use some model glue along the crack then pull it out with a dental pick.:cool:

Reactions: 1 user

iamthecarley

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2018
Welcome, Use some model glue along the crack then pull it out with a dental pick.:cool:
I can do this without getting the cover apart from the housing? If I'm understanding you correctly, I may try this tonight. I have some dual-component epoxy for it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

thunderball

Greasemonkey
Jan 18, 2016
Ill get it out tomorrow and get a picture. I do remember it had silver trim around it. I want to say it was off an 84 or 85 base monte.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor