Craftsman ratchets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Does anyone have anything GOOD to say about the current Sears Craftsman ratchets? I usually scour swap meets and Ebay for NOS ratchets made in the US. But prices are getting up there and inventory is drying up. The impending Sears bankruptcy is probably fueling that. When looking closely at some it seems they are made in Taiwan. Technically Taiwan is China but the quality is usually much better than mainland China. The reviews on Sears website are usually pretty good with the occasional "JUNK" rating. I am sure some of you have some stories so let's hear them.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I bought a set of Craftsman tools (ratchets, sockets and ratcheting wrenches) for my storage (where I keep my car) a few years ago. I wasn't going to buy Craftsman since its made in China anyway, but you couldn't beat the price for what you were getting. The 1/4 drive ratchet is very sloppy. I broke the 13mm ratcheting wrench removing a nut on the front seat. The quality sucks.

If you are going to buy Chinease anyway, I really like the composit ratchets from Harbor Freight. They are 72 tooth and much better quality....
https://m.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-composite-quick-release-ratchet-62290.html

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
No stories but when I trade an old broken one now at Sears the replacement is junk.Bought a good set of Matco ratchets and much better.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Jimmy

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2016
Gulfport, MS
They still have a lifetime warranty is about all I can say good about them. Fortunately ACE Hardware now stocks craftsman tools so you can trade them in if they fail. I traded two a couple of weeks ago and it was hassle free.

Reactions: 1 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I think I hade to trade in my 3/8 drive every other time I used it due to failin ratchet mechanisms. I purchased some snap on and matco ones to replace all My craftsman and haven’t looked back.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The old regular US made Craftsman ratchet's sucked *ss but everything else was top notch. As said nearly everything else is similar. I have found the Stanley stuff very good and cheap at Walmart.

• Agree

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I gave up on Craftsman Ratchets. I had a 3/8 I bought 25 years ago. It lasted about 2 years when I started using it at the junkyards. It was a long handle flex. I got it replaced and that one lasted a month. Got that one replaced and it lasted a week. Threw it away and bought a Husky at the box store. It has lasted over a year now and still going...timo22

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Ratchets are where you want to spend the money and buy a good one. I had some Craftsman professional series were OK, but the replacements are junk. Much happier with my Matco, gearwrench is OK, but my 1/4 long handle is getting balky after about a year of use at work

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Wow, that's what I did not want to hear. Before I retired I loaded up on US made sets of Sears ratchets/sockets for my garage and basement workshops. I guess I got spoiled. I only had to return one ever. A 1/2" drive ratchet that never worked right brand new. When I returned it they gave me an older model that worked perfectly. Go figure.

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
The US made ones were not desirable imo, especially 1/2" drive = Junk. I have yet to have any problems with anything Ive had made in Taiwan. I am looking at the Gear wrench 120XP series. Pittsburgh Pro stuff ive used from HF really seemed decent especially for the money. But to each is there own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor