Cranks but won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2018
Hi! I have an 85' Chevy g20 350 motor. I've been having misfiring issues and I brought it in to be looked at and they suggested I change the cap and rotor. Did that it was running a little more smoothly. Was driving around today, parked then went to get gas(got midgrade instead of regular), made another 2 stops. On the way home it stalled out and wouldn't start up again. It's cranking but not turning over. Fuel is good, there is a spark, any idea what else I should check given these issues. Thanks in advance.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what did you check to see if you have spark? Did you try holding you gas pedal down all the way and try to start it?

Oct 15, 2018
what did you check to see if you have spark? Did you try holding you gas pedal down all the way and try to start it?
We tested it with the spark test instrument with the light bulb. It's blinking and yes we tried that too. Pulled all the plugs out and there is a lot of fuel squirting out of the 6th cylinder and all the plugs on the passenger side was flooded. Please help.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I agree it sounds like that the carb is the problem. You don't have the CCC system do you?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
remove the fuel line from the carb, plug it, hold your foot to the floor until the car starts and let it run till the fuel bowl is empty. first time the car stalls start it up again and again till the bowl is completely empty and it won't start. Then recconnect the fuel line and try to start it normally. If there was dirt on the needle running the bowl empty will sometimes remove whatever was interfering with the needle

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor