Crankshaft thread sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I have a small block Chevy 400 and the threads on the inside of the crank where the harmonic balancer bolt screws in are stripped out what size tap can I use to rethread these threads?

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I have a small block Chevy 400 and the threads on the inside of the crank where the harmonic balancer bolt screws in are stripped out what size tap can I use to rethread these threads but if i screw the bolt in without the big washer it will screw in can i get a longer arp bolt if so what arp part number?

MTP-Madmat

Apprentice
Feb 27, 2018
I had the same thing happen to my 400. I ended up doing a heli-coil. 7/16-20 ARP # 134-2501

MTP-Madmat

Apprentice
Feb 27, 2018
I believe they are the stock length and come with a new washer. And it will work with a stock damper. I would recommend a heli coil

MTP-Madmat

Apprentice
Feb 27, 2018
A heli coil kit comes with a drill bit and thread tap. You drill it bigger and tap it then use the tool with a bit of red loctite on the thread insert. The thread insert will be stronger than the factory cut threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor