MALIBU Crap...Crap..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I’m still trying to figure out the oddball I have. It has the manual key release lever and the wiper switch in the turn signal. Always thought it came from an ‘81, but I pulled it right as the yard was closing and didn’t look too carefully what the donor was.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I’m still trying to figure out the oddball I have. It has the manual key release lever and the wiper switch in the turn signal. Always thought it came from an ‘81, but I pulled it right as the yard was closing and didn’t look too carefully what the donor was.
Possible conversion? Thinking on how cheap GM was/is the turn/wiper switch mounts right in place of the turn only switch since the bowls could be the same between the '79-'81 & '82-'88 columns. I've thought about converting to the turn/wiper switch in one of my columns just to use the delay wiper from the '86 parts car I had. But as long as the wiper motor I have from a '81 Regal works I'll stay dash mounted.

Reactions: 1 user

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Possible conversion? Thinking on how cheap GM was/is the turn/wiper switch mounts right in place of the turn only switch since the bowls could be the same between the '79-'81 & '82-'88 columns. I've thought about converting to the turn/wiper switch in one of my columns just to use the delay wiper from the '86 parts car I had. But as long as the wiper motor I have from a '81 Regal works I'll stay dash mounted.
I picked up a delay motor from an '85 Cutlass 3 or 4 weeks ago, and found out via the Haynes manual, that the wiper motor switch and wiring changed in '84 or '85, don't remember which year, but one version power goes to the motor from the switch, the other version has power to the switch from the motor. Because of the wiring difference, I was unable to use the '85 wiper motor, and had to wait until I found an older motor to match up with the switch I had.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I picked up a delay motor from an '85 Cutlass 3 or 4 weeks ago, and found out via the Haynes manual, that the wiper motor switch and wiring changed in '84 or '85, don't remember which year, but one version power goes to the motor from the switch, the other version has power to the switch from the motor. Because of the wiring difference, I was unable to use the '85 wiper motor, and had to wait until I found an older motor to match up with the switch I had.
I knew of the change after '85. I do have a '86 standard column with the delay turn/wiper switch that I could use if I went with the '86 motor for the column switch conversion. But I do have the correct '81 dash switch to work with the '81 motor which I already converted the dash harness for. Instead of punching another hole in the firewall I added the needed green wire to run thru the front light harness bulkhead. Much cleaner.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Late to the races as usual here. Does anyone know if that 81 Iraqi Taxi (We called them Saudi Chevies) still has its bell housing and clutch linkage?? Would be interested in buying the bell housing for certain if it was around and could be acquired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor