Craziest "fixes" found in your gbody

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I was welding a patch in my floor this afternoon when I noticed this.
20200310_141302.jpg

That is the pedal end of throttle cable 😲 I assume it was to hold the pedal to the cable. They couldn't be bothered with cutting the tail off the zip tie either. I was just curious what others have found.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
Radiator zip-tied to the core support

With the install of a SBC in place of the blown up original Buick V6, the genius ran a fuel line extension from the driver's side frame rail all the way over to the passenger side fuel pump, out of rubber, zip-tied to the front sway bar

Torque convertor inspection cover was missing

Speedometer cable disconnected because it interfered with his hack attempt at installing a floor shifter.

Bucket seats bolted in only on the outer edges where the original bench seat used to reside

Exhaust system was the very last thing installed because it interfered with EVERYTHING Starter was trapped, X-pipe trapped the driveshaft and it quickly became a nightmare trying to drop the trans when the junkyard case cracked in half

And that's just what I can remember off the top of my head since I've been trying to remove it frm my consciousness.

Reactions: 1 user

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
I knew a guy once who would use blocks of wood for inner seat track risers and then would use either really long 1/4" bolts or drywall screws to attach it all to the floor.

• Scared

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
The olds I bought had the headlights wired to a separate toggle switch with wire nuts on the splices. Of course they were almost falling off with the splice ready to ground out on the shifter.

• Wow

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
On my Regal, somebody used a jar lid to replace the coolant overflow tank cap. Got a proper replacement cap from the junkyard.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Torque arm on a 700r4 in an f-body fastened to the trans with redi-rod

Drywall mud and chicken-wire to patch a hole in a quarter panel that really needed a patch welded in.

Compression fittings on brake lines (Cue safety debate)

Front wheel bearing lock nut on a sidekick set up like a non-driven wheel (tighten, then back off to first cotter pin hole.) supposed to be torqued to 185ft/lbs

Just off the top of my head....

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
This was post ownership when I had to share it with my brother in H.S., custom stereo work done by him with ALL splices done with the cheapest duct tape he could find. Had no idea of his "skills" until I decided to put a better radio in than his (1991) $9.99 radio.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Not on my G body but on a 68 Chrysler Newport I was looking to buy as a beater. Front wheel bearing castle nuts held in with two finishing nails rather than cotter pins. The outer bearing race on the outside right front of same said car had a hose band clamp cut to shim up an incorrect front wheel bearing cup. Passed on that car real fast.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
There have been many, but the scariest one was a Bonneville wagon I bought. Had new brakes on it. including rotor on one side. Made a horrible grinding on the test drive. Bought it on the condition that he delivered it to my work about 5 miles away. Got it and pulled the wheel. it had new pads and rotor. It also had no bearing or grease seal on the inner. Had to scrounge a spindle from a friend and fixed it.

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

Worst part was, guy was a "mechanic" at a local motorcycle shop!

• Haha
  • Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor