crazy idea, need some input

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
so me and my buddies came up with this crazy idea yesterday to build about a 10x10 shed with a basement under it. i know it sounds nuts, but do you guys think it could be done? the plan is since were gonna be moving in a month, were gonna need a new man cave lol, so what we were thinking was to dig a 12x12 hole about say 6-7ft deep? then set up cinder blocks in a 10x10 square until the blocks are about a half foot above ground level, cement everything back together, pour in a floor, then fill up the outside and build a shed over it. it wouldnt be a problem getting the blocks or anything, its just ive never done anything like this before and was wondering what id need to do as far as a foundation, sealing up the walls, and making it so that it wont fall apart in 2 years lol. so what do u guys think, sweet idea or what, and if so, how the HELL am i gonna do this???

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
dream on mcss said:
so me and my buddies came up with this crazy idea yesterday to build about a 10x10 shed with a basement under it. i know it sounds nuts, but do you guys think it could be done? the plan is since were gonna be moving in a month, were gonna need a new man cave lol, so what we were thinking was to dig a 12x12 hole about say 6-7ft deep? then set up cinder blocks in a 10x10 square until the blocks are about a half foot above ground level, cement everything back together, pour in a floor, then fill up the outside and build a shed over it. it wouldnt be a problem getting the blocks or anything, its just ive never done anything like this before and was wondering what id need to do as far as a foundation, sealing up the walls, and making it so that it wont fall apart in 2 years lol. so what do u guys think, sweet idea or what, and if so, how the HELL am i gonna do this???

It would probably end up being dank and wet down there. No ventilation , no sump. What is the soil like where you are? Where I'm at it's all clay so that would be a bad idea.

79CMC

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I will agree it's a sweet idea if you can pull it off. Reminds me of that show about "preppers"preparing for armageddon. Would it essentially be a hole with an elevated roof (shed)? How would you get into the hole-ladder? Stairs? You'd also have to guard against rain and dampness as already mentioned. Would you just run an extension cord for electricity? A man cave has to have a TV and fridge for beer. Otherwise, it's a hidden hole in the ground with a bunch of dudes gathered in the dark...

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
79CMC said:
I will agree it's a sweet idea if you can pull it off. Reminds me of that show about "preppers"preparing for armageddon. Would it essentially be a hole with an elevated roof (shed)? How would you get into the hole-ladder? Stairs? You'd also have to guard against rain and dampness as already mentioned. Would you just run an extension cord for electricity? A man cave has to have a TV and fridge for beer. Otherwise, it's a hidden hole in the ground with a bunch of dudes gathered in the dark...

I saw some show with snoop dog a few years ago where he took a pre fab shed from home depot with windows, put in a tile floor, electricity and lights and made it his man cave/smoking lounge. It was really cool.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
You'd be better off building a 10 x 20 shed and having the back portion your "mang cave". Probably be cheaper not to mention hell of a lot less work.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
oldmansmonte said:
It would probably end up being dank and wet down there. No ventilation , no sump. What is the soil like where you are? Where I'm at it's all clay so that would be a bad idea.

Well, havent figured that yet, but we could run a pvc pipe out from the basement out to the side of the shed. As far as the ground, oxford is a MAJOR gravel pit, but the soil should be fine.

79CMC said:

Well, for power itd be nice to have a line and a breaker box but im no electrician lol so itll probably be just an extension cord lol. For the entrance we were thinking of making a panel in the floor of the shed that we could put a lock on and have a ladder going down to it. Theres definitely gonna be a TV down there, maybe with cable but definitely a ps3 or something, and i have a mini fridge that would be perfect down there. It would definitely be waterproof though, as the idea is to make it like an actual basement in a house, just smaller and with a shed on top lol.

Oldsmoletick said:
You'd be better off building a 10 x 20 shed and having the back portion your "mang cave". Probably be cheaper not to mention hell of a lot less work.

Well, that would be nice but then again it might cost more in materials as id need more wood for the shed and everything, and i can get the blocks for dirt cheap. Yeah, your right it would take a lot more work but the end result would be so badass it would be worth it. And anyways, i got nothing but time. Im 16 and schools almost out so id have all summer to do it. Once the hole is dug the only hard part would be building the shed itself.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
:shock: ooof gravel area, better get a digger if you want a big hole, it sucks digging in that crap (I dug up my parents backyard when i was a teen for bike jumps, rocky soil is no fun, going down 4 feet was a killer).

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
79CMC said:
Otherwise, it's a hidden hole in the ground with a bunch of dudes gathered in the dark...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wouldn't it be cheaper, and probably a little less creepy, to just buy an abductor van?

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
DRIVEN said:
79CMC said:
Otherwise, it's a hidden hole in the ground with a bunch of dudes gathered in the dark...
Wouldn't it be cheaper, and probably a little less creepy, to just buy an abductor van?
:rofl:
Are you a serial killer :?: This sounds like a hideaway for doing detestable things to people/animal :|

Why not just make the 10'x10' shed your man-cave :idea:

79CMC

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
RITTER said:
DRIVEN said:
79CMC said:
:rofl:
Are you a serial killer :?: This sounds like a hideaway for doing detestable things to people/animal :|

Why not just make the 10'x10' shed your man-cave :idea:

Haha that was my point...how are you going to explain the sounds of the newest PS3 zombie slaying game coming from a shed in the backyard?

But, to keep the stabbin cabin dream alive: That hole is going to be a hell of a chore. Are your friends going to help you dig this 7 foot hole? Or do they already have experience digging deep holes that will soon be hidden...? I'd run your plan by them first to make sure you've got a good squad of dudes to help you dig and set up the concrete blocks. If you don't have enough friends, you could always use your "free candy" sign scrawled on the back of a pizza box to lure the neighbor kids to help.

Practically, I think the shed, above ground, would be the simplest idea. Whether you dig a hole or not, you'll use the shed. Give it a try, outfit it with your stuff, see if it meets your needs. If not, you can just use it as your hang out while you dig the hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor