Crooked steering wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javi702

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2020
Las vegas
Just had a question about my steering wheel...my tires are straight but my steering is extremely crooked what can cause this and how do I fix it? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20210119_194445.jpg
    20210119_194445.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
  • 20210119_194454.jpg
    20210119_194454.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 157
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Hard to say- it could be the shaft to box spline alignment, the steering wheel alignment, or the rag joint could have failed/be failing. That's impressive to say the least, though!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
A quick check is pull the steering wheel off and look at the steering shaft, there should be an arrow. With your wheels straight the arrow should be in the 12 o'clock position. Go from there.

Reactions: 2 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
You have to start at the steering box and work forwards and back.

The Input shaft on the steering box has a flat, that has to be up. The steering box has a "center" and if you build your steering system with the box off center, it won't work right.

Working towards the back, what steering shaft do you have? An Astro Van steering shaft is 90 degrees off and has to be modified for use. A 92-early 95 Grand Cherokee lower shaft is a direct bolt in.

With the Box properly oriented and a proper lower shaft, the spline on the steering wheel mount should be up.

With the Wheel, shaft and and Box right, align the tie rods straight.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

JimmyCamino

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2020
Alexandria, VA
Take into consideration any abnormal tire wear or whether or not the car pulls to one side when figuring this out.

Among the causes could be damaged steering/suspension components, like in a collision; components replaced with the wrong ones or not properly adjusted; maybe someone took the steering wheel off and didn't put it back on right for example to replace the turn signal mechanism. Would be nice (for you) to know the reason for the mismatch and be sure that it is not a safety problem. But in the end pulling the steering wheel and putting it back on in the position you want is easy.

Reactions: 1 user

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
Turn the steering wheel straight when getting the front end aliened

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Oh yeah, good point. The horn contact assembly goes through the steering wheel.
Yup, it all has to line up correctly to work. Now that someone mentioned it, I wonder if it has an Astro shaft in it; that would account for a 90⁰ twist.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Turn the steering wheel straight when getting the front end aliened

Assuming the shaft is splined correctly on the box then this. How is your alignment btw? Just because it goes straight on its own doesn't mean the alignment is anywhere near correct.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor