Crossmember ??? 78 malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Quick crossmember question. Does it sit above or below the "standoff brackets" on the frame.

Also this was a v6 car and had the rubber pads sandwiched on the crossmember. I think Im going to cut some flat steel stock and thru bolt everything solid. Think there is any issue with that? I dont see the need for the rubber

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Not familiar with the 'pads'. It sits on top of the boxes in the lower edge of the crossmember.

The trans needs to sit on a rubber mount of some type. I've made crossmembers out of 1 1/2" tube and a couple of pieces of angle iron. There is very little stress on the transmission crossmember from the transmission.

Reactions: 1 user

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
The aftermarket double hump crossmember instructions to leave the rubber spacers out and bolt directly to the frame. But you have to have a rubber trandmission mount.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
The aftermarket double hump crossmember instructions to leave the rubber spacers out and bolt directly to the frame. But you have to have a rubber trandmission mount.
Ok but the crossmember sits on TOP of the frame mounts? (I am using stock crossmember)

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Yes. Most guys just wing the rubber isolaters and bolt to the top. They are added vibration/ noise isolation for average driver back in the day.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Use the factory pads if you have them, I made steel spacers for my Monte to replace those because not having them in there on a stock crossmember will change the pinion angle slightly.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Use the factory pads if you have them, I made steel spacers for my Monte to replace those because not having them in there on a stock crossmember will change the pinion angle slightly.
Ok i am currently making some steel pads to replace the rubber ones.

My 78 malibu had the 3.3 v6 with th350, i have a 350 with a t10 4 speed in it now and am finding the trans mount is offset towards the drivers side by a few inches. The tail shaft is lined up nicely with the driveshaft hump in the body. I am going to move the crossmember mount over (cut and weld) to line up with the transmission mount, however I was under the assumption by reading thru various threads that the th350 xmember would be a direct fit to t10. Thoughts ???

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Ok i am currently making some steel pads to replace the rubber ones.

My 78 malibu had the 3.3 v6 with th350, i have a 350 with a t10 4 speed in it now and am finding the trans mount is offset towards the drivers side by a few inches. The tail shaft is lined up nicely with the driveshaft hump in the body. I am going to move the crossmember mount over (cut and weld) to line up with the transmission mount, however I was under the assumption by reading thru various threads that the th350 xmember would be a direct fit to t10.
Do you have the standard teansmission mount or the offset. It sounds like you need the standard mount to use that crossmember and you have the offset
Screenshot_20220626-211357_Google.jpg

I have the th350, original v6 crossmember and had to use the offset mount. My new crossmember (gforce) uses a standard mount.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
I have the standard mount from energy suspension. I did not know about the offset mount, looks like it may have worked. I ended up modifying my crossmember. All set now

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor