Crossover pipe issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
The original crossover pipe on my car has a split in the side where it comes down to meet the straight pipe where the factory converter used to be. When I first noticed it I welded it shut the best I could, but over time it has cracked open again along the same seam. Looking around it seems that nobody makes a '78/'83 - '88 Gbody crossover pipe anymore. Whenever I search for my car specifically (85 Monte Carlo) or just for a Gbody all I get is results for Chevy trucks or the Gen 2 Monte Carlo. Does anyone know of a source for this part, or if a pipe made for another small block car / truck will have proper clearance?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
When I first noticed it I welded it shut the best I could, but over time it has cracked open again along the same seam.
If your split is in a straight section of pipe and the rest of the pipe is in good shape you could repair it using a section of pipe the next size larger to basically patch it by cutting it lengthwise in two spots leaving a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the diameter to cover the area and then completely weld all edges, it will seal the crack and add strength.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Just a heads-up, the 40270 is listed for 81-83 only. There are differences in the cats between the years that may cause installation issues, if staying with the original configuration.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You could also maybe try a more readily available B-body crossover using the same year and engine and it might work with only slight modifications

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
You could always go with a custom dual exhaust with or without high cats. My 1981 El Camino SS has a exhaust system with FlowTech "shorty" headers a custom transmission brace ,With 2 1/4 exhaust with Flowmater 3 Chamber mufflers .Dumping out just behind the rear wheel. And I passed emissions at the time with no issues with a 290 HP 350 crate engine.

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
If your split is in a straight section of pipe and the rest of the pipe is in good shape you could repair it using a section of pipe the next size larger to basically patch it by cutting it lengthwise in two spots leaving a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the diameter to cover the area and then completely weld all edges, it will seal the crack and add strength.
Unfortunately it is split at the very bottom where it makes the 90° turn to feed into the main pipe and the crack continues through the entire curve. Emissions are definitely not a concern for me and I have long since removed all smog gear on the car, however cost and time are (it is my daily after all). Custom exhaust is completely out of the question for now, my goal is to make this repair with the smallest end cost possible to me while still doing a quality job. maybe someday I can afford to trick it out but that is not in the cards for me yet. Most likely going to go with a budget dual exhaust setup since as mentioned it's about $50 cheaper than that Y pipe alone, if I do go that route you will definitely see a thread detailing my work on it...

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Just a heads-up, the 40270 is listed for 81-83 only. There are differences in the cats between the years that may cause installation issues, if staying with the original configuration.
When I looked that up on Walkers webiste that wa the only p/n listed in the diagram.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
When I looked that up on Walkers webiste that wa the only p/n listed in the diagram.

You are correct, however it is noted as 81-83 model years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor