Cruise control, A/C and torque convertor clutch w/o computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I did a swap to a 355 Chevy and a TH200 4R in my 1985 Cutlass and am trying to solve a few issues with it. I want to add factory cruise control to it and believe all I need is the VSS and "Buffer" from the computer to do so as I have looked at the FSM for my car and that's all it seems to need. My bigger question is the Torque convertor clutch and how to actuate it, as well as the A/C . I was thinking of using the ECU to operate it and the requisite A/C signals, but keeping the computer off the engine. I currently run a 1979 Buick Quadrajet and a 1977 Chevy HEI instead of the E4ME Q-Jet and computer HEI that I had installed when I originally did the swap and the engine runs lots better. Unfortunately, I can't seem to see if the computer needs a TPS signal to actuate the Torque Convertor Clutch as all I found in the 1985 GM diagrams of the system are refrences to the brake light switch and the MAP sensor as being pertinent to the system's operation.Lastly, is the A/C's compressor cycling determined by the ECU as it is in newer cars, or does the computer just override it in the case of low manifold vacuum or a high CTS ( Coolant Temp Sensor) reading?If it just interrupts the relay from being constant on with the high and low pressure switches being in a series connection, I could just re-do the one wire from the ECM to be on with the A/C instead of needing computer inputs to decide on the cycling.

rmodys

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Southwest Florida
I think that if you want to get the cruise control to work without the computer, you have to move some purple (I think that's the color) and ground it somewhere else. Someone will be able to explain it much better than I did. mrapii?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor