Cruise Control not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 5, 2019
Arizona
Good day all. I am new to this whole forum thing so please bare with me.
Here is my issue. With the cruise control set and going down the road on occasion it would disengage on it's own. I would reset it and it would be ok for awhile. This issue continued to get worse and worse too the point that now the cruise will not set at all. Now keep in mind this is a 1987 Monte Carlo SS that I have owned since it was born. The first thing I checked were all the fuses in the fuse box, all are good. I pulled the gray cruise control wire out of the socket, made sure it was clean and reinserted it. Still no cruise. So I thought well lets change the cruise control/windshield wiper/turn signal lever. I decided to change the turn signal switch also, so i removed the steering wheel to gain access to all of the parts inside the column. I installed all the new parts, reassembled the column and tested the cruise out on the road. Still no cruise. So I then tested both the switches under the dash, one of which is the brake light switch and one is the vacuum dump switch. I checked the ohms on both switches and did not like the results I was receiving from the brake light switch so I replaced it, and reset it. I then checked the ohms and vacuum hold on the vacuum dump switch and both these test passed with flying colors. I then test drove it again and still no cruise. I had already checked that the vacuum check valve was good [ and it is ] I also checked the vacuum pot and engine vacuum and vacuum line too the vacuum dump switch, all of these checked out good. Soo being a 32 year old cruise control servo I decided to dissemble it, clean it and run ohms test on it. It passed all the test to also include vacuum hold. I reassembled it and installed on vehicle, test drove and still no cruise. I then checked voltage at the 5 pin servo connector and found no voltage. Soo as you can imagine i'm starting to lose my hair over this issue. So I stopped, sat back and thought this through a bit more. I started to do some research on this matter and found out that if the Vehicle Speed Sensor is bad it will not send information to the computer which in turn will not allow the cruise control to be set. The VSS is original on the car so I have purchased a new one and will install it this weekend. Beyond all of this the only thing left is the cruise control module and to test the voltage at the computer. If there is any of you out there that has input on this please chime in and lets discuss this more in-depth. I hope I have posted this Thread in the correct area, if not feel free too inform me as to where I should post it.
Thank You all for you'r help.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Sounds like you're on it. Good luck!

The only thing I might add is to clean what ever the optical eye reads in the speedo. I forgot to look for another member last night with a similar issue....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor